Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

I once read in a book, allbeit a fiction book, that one of the reasons women wear burkas is that as theres such a small area to see through, if the wearer wants to look at something she would have to turn her entire head in that direction, meaning that her husband can always tell what she is looking at. Does anyone know if theres any truth in this?

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... :roll:

How am I attempting to 'pull the veil over your eyes'? Where did I ever suggest the burkha was a good idea? When did I tell you to start wearing it?
pull the veil over my eyes, I thought that was quite funny! :(

You didn't, but you do seem to be arguing for the 'right' of women to wear it, even if it is imposed on them.

You didn't.

I don't think it's a great idea but my argument is that people should have the right to wear what they want (barring security checks etc.). As a 'free liberated female' surely you should abhor any restrictions being put on what women can (or in this case can't) wear!!
Sorry, but I draw the line at anyone being allowed to cover their faces in a public place. Especially covering it with some man imposed middle eastern religious garb. And nothing will ever change my mind about that. Even if we started having sandstorms on a daily basis, I wouldn't wear one. And as I'll never be visiting an Islamic country, luckily, I'll never have to.

I have answered your question, lets see if you like it without all the babbling and gibbering and name calling yourself.

You just dont like legitimate arguments against it and will resort to anything, even winding people up so they bite and leave mods no option but to close the topic. your las line of defence, we have already had the ridicule of spelling from your good self earlier so I guess theres little gas left in the tank eh ?

I think that's unfair criticism and I don't believe PT has ever been responsible for a thread being closed.

You didn't, but you do seem to be arguing for the 'right' of women to wear it, even if it is imposed on them.

No I didn't. My argument is, and always has been, that people should have the right to wear what they want

If you want to start discussing choice vs forced then that is another discussion entirely. No-one should be forced to do anything.

Sorry, but I draw the line at anyone being allowed to cover their faces in a public place.

Why is this? What reason do you have for thinking it's okay to tell someone they can't walk to the shop in the clothes they've chosen to wear??

I once read in a book, allbeit a fiction book, that one of the reasons women wore burkas is that as theres such a small area to see through, if the wearer wants to look at something she would have to turn her entire head in that direction, meaning that her husband can always tell what she is looking at. Does anyone know if theres any truth in this?
It might have been in the Bookseller of Kabul or a Thousand Splendid Suns?

I've read it somewhere too, although it actually seems to me that it said the actual design or arrangement of the niqab, rather than the burqa, lends itself to the formation of small 'blinkers' which impede the peripheral vision of the wearer, forcing them to turn their head to track anything. Which is why it's not that safe for them to drive, which is then why they aren't allowed to drive ... :)

If anyone who actually wears a niqab could comment?

It's an incremental change, but you wouldn't associate freedom with being told what you can and cannot wear.

In reality freedom does not exist. I am not free, for example, to go out and kill someone. I contend that the banning of full face coverings protects the freedom of the majority to go about their everyday business without fear. Full face coverings protect the freedom of the minority to the detriment of a large majority.

You know what they say; ask a stupid question...

Why was it a stupid question? The book I read it in was a very well researched book, by a woman who spent a lot of time in Afghanistan. Instead of being nasty, a simple yes or no would have done. Thanks again!