Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

The Government of France are liable to lose a case based on the ban in European Court of human rights so I doubt very much their ban will last for very long.

The mood of Europe is changing fast. I can feel it, you obviously cannot.

The Government of France are liable to lose a case based on the ban in European Court of human rights so I doubt very much their ban will last for very long.

Come on, if we are all now expected to display our bits and bobs at airports then I dont see why a ban on the Burka is going to that big a problem.

1. France seems to be very vehement in terms of pursuing this idea of a completely secular society. Whilst I can kind of see where they are coming from, it's really rather counter productive. All it's doing is turning it into a bigger thing than it ought to be. It's a piece of cloth. It's not very interesting, when it comes down to it.

2. Security issue: no different from any other face covering. It's always, somewhere, at the back of my mind, that the bad guys are going to get London, get the places and people that I care for there. Little things may reassure us but aren't going to avoid the fact that there is a terrorist threat and whatever we do they will get through at some point.

3. The hair covering of these guys offends me. Can we get them banned?

http://www.dodgy-scouser.com/scousers.jpg

What's the collective noun for a group of girls in a niqab?

:o

They look like strong independent women fighting for their rights.

You might call them Niqabettes, perhaps? Although their tactics are much more peaceful than the Sufragettes campaigns were for their rights.

Come on, if we are all now expected to display our bits and bobs at airports then I dont see why a ban on the Burka is going to that big a problem.

It is a problem because it specifically targets peaceful individuals, for no good reason.

I personally think that the Burqa is offensive. I find this particular subjugation of women unpleasant and unneccesary. It looks out of place on our streets. It is dangerous when someone is driving wearing the burqa/face cover. It is quite obviously a security risk if the wearer cannot be identified, particularly when one section of our community is so overly represented as terrorists. I also find it very difficult to deal with people face to Burqa, it puts the wearer at a great advantage in a business situation - they can see your "tells" you cannot see hers. It should not be down to individual shopkeeper to start to tell customers to take certain items of clothing off before they come into ther shop, it could be seen as offensive and distrustful - not a good start to a commercial relationship.

However, I think it is fraught with problems when a government seeks to legislate against a certain item of clothing - I can't see how this can be done practically.

I personally think that the Burqa is offensive. I find this particular subjugation of women unpleasant and unneccesary. It looks out of place on our streets. It is dangerous when someone is driving wearing the burqa/face cover. It is quite obviously a security risk if the wearer cannot be identified, particularly when one section of our community is so overly represented as terrorists. I also find it very difficult to deal with people face to Burqa, it puts the wearer at a great advantage in a business situation - they can see your "tells" you cannot see hers. It should not be down to individual shopkeeper to start to tell customers to take certain items of clothing off before they come into ther shop, it could be seen as offensive and distrustful - not a good start to a commercial relationship.

However, I think it is fraught with problems when a government seeks to legislate against a certain item of clothing - I can't see how this can be done practically.

Any actual proof that burqas are dangerous when driving, or did you make that up?