Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

UKIP's new leader, the multi-millionaire Lord Pearson, recently announced that UKIP would ban the wearing of the burqa in all public places, and would recommend that it be banned in private buildings also. This policy is much more strict than that advocated by the BNP - which only calls for the burqa to be banned from classrooms.
Well I was going to vote for them anyhow but this has secured my vote.

Have you not heard of the saying 'when in Rome, do as the Suadies do'.
no :hihi: what gets me is some people on here have comments to make about how we as a country have to adapt our laws to suit other people . yet put links up to other countries and how the law works and that we from the west have to adapt while we there yet fail to comment on why should we?but its ok for us to cater for everybody.i think they suffer from the (selective answering thread syndrome):hihi:

something what we agree on there the stupid rules, but they are saudi s rules and we westerners have to abide to while we in the country .

I'm still missing your point-we're agreed they're 'stupid rules', so why would you want to adopt them for the UK? (ie dictating what people can or cant wear), if they're daft in Muslim countries, they're even dafter over here!

no :hihi: what gets me is some people on here have comments to make about how we as a country have to adapt our laws to suit other people . yet put links up to other countries and how the law works and that we from the west have to adapt while we there yet fail to comment on why should we?but its ok for us to cater for everybody.i think they suffer from the (selective answering thread syndrome):hihi:

What gets me is that some people on here are too stupid for words.

In the UK there is no prohibition on what clothes people choose to wear, provided they cover their genitalia, so nobody is 'adapting' to anything, since those freedoms exist for everybody already under English law and always have done.

What you're advocating is that we change our law to adapt to the Saudi way of dictating dress to people...dont you think that's a bit strange?

What gets me is that some people on here are too stupid for words.

In the UK there is no prohibition on what clothes people choose to wear, provided they cover their genitalia, so nobody is 'adapting' to anything, since those freedoms exist for everybody already under English law and always have done.

What you're advocating is that we change our law to adapt to the Saudi way of dictating dress to people...dont you think that's a bit strange?

It isn't a legal issue though is it, it's a cultural one?

I may be wrong, but the UAE is a non-secular state, wherein religion (which heavily permeates culture, as I understand things) is the law. Edited by L00b

It should never be a legal issue, but the thread is about the French criminalising the wearing of the burka, which inevitably has drawn comparisons as to why we dont do the same.

Whatever reasons someone chooses to observe a particular mode of dress, whether that be punks, Catholic priests, goths or Muslim women, it should be a personal issue for them and possibly influenced by many things, culture being one of them.

It's an irony dont you think, that the invading Romans never lived up to the mantra themselves?
Do you know what, you have just said exactly what RICGEM2002 is saying.

He brings to question why people who come here where what they want and when you goto their countries your expected to wear what they tell you too.

And now your saying its ironic that the Romans did the same thing.

I suggest your not that different after all :D