Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

If everyone abided by the laws of the countries they visited or emigrated to it would be a lot better than trying to force your culture on a host country.

the person who comes into our country should live by the countrys rules and not expect handouts and other things and your spot on trying to force sharia law on the uk is stupid and gets peoples backs up .

If everyone abided by the laws of the countries they visited or emigrated to it would be a lot better than trying to force your culture on a host country.
Indeed, if and visited. How many visitors to these shores do you see in Sheffield not abiding by our laws? Or are you one of these self appointed ever so intelligent people who would use phrases like 'British born immigrants'?:suspect:

the person who comes into our country should live by the countrys rules and not expect handouts and other things and your spot on trying to force sharia law on the uk is stupid and gets peoples backs up .

That's hardly a fair (or proper) comment.

How many of the people who wear burkhas in the UK do so because they want to (ignore Jon Snow) and how many do so because the male head-of-household requires them to do so?

Has anybody asked? (or would merely 'asking' constitute an infringement of some sort of imagined right)

'Banning things' is a very popular hobby in the UK.

The Brits are renowned for 'banning stuff'. A few years ago many of us heard (from the anti-smoking brigade) stories about "We don't go to pubs because they stink of smoke!- "Ban smoking in pubs!"

Nu-Labout did that (after all, that's what the people wanted)

Some of the people who went to pubs for a pint-and-a-fag stopped going to pubs. Not a problem, because all those people who didn't go to pubs flocked to the (now non smoky) pubs. In such numbers that 50 pubs a week close because they can't cope with the additional trade.

'Banning things' is a typical nu-Labour answer to everything. Have they banned '42' yet?

Does 'wearing a burkha' entitle the wearer to some sort of government handout- If so, can somebody tell me how much?

If you were to approach me wearing a burkha (or otherwise hiding your face) I would ignore you. Not because I'm rude and anti-social, but because I would consider you to be being rude and anti-social.

It's the way I was brought up. In the society in which I was brought up, turning your face away from somebody when you are talking to them (or hiding your face when you are talking to them) is considered to be extremely rude.

I will not change the way I behave to accommodate you.

If you want to wear a burkha, go ahead. (there you go, Jon Snow, wear what you like.) Wear what you like - but don't expect me to change my behaviour to accommodate your sartorial preferences.

It's got nothing to do with racism (if you're behind a burkha, how would I know what race you are?) nor has it anything to do with religious bias.

It would simply be a reasonable (IMO) response to what I perceive as being rude and thoughtless behaviour.

My son is beyond this now (he's fully grown) but had I been talking to him when he was a kid, and had he turned away from me when I was talking to him, I would have said something along the lines of: HOW DARE YOU TURN AWAY FROM ME WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU

How many of you would've reacted in the same manner?

In the culture in which I was brought up, turning your face away from somebody when they are talking to you is considered to be extremely rude.

Wearing a mask (or some other garment which prevents me from seeing you when you are talking to me) is no better.

I don't give a damn what anybody wears. - And I don't give a stuff if others aren't happy with what I wear. I am, however, very offended when people behave towards me in what I perceive to be a rude or impolite manner.

Is wearing the burkha against our 'rules'?

Is wearing the burkha against our 'rules'?

And you see it often on the news or in newspapers how someone has been banned from this school or that place for wearing clothing that should not be worn.

You talk out of some place very dark and narrow in my opinion. You stand up for the rights of immigrants and foreign visitors without reservation, and ignore the fact that most of us abide by the rules and regulations in place. For instance - my daughter cannot attend school whilst wearing certain religious jewellery, yet as soon as this happens for some immigrant there is a public outcry.

Most schools have uniforms that should be worn. Why should someone of a different religion be exempt? A job requires that a certain uniform is worn - why should certain religious followers be exempt? Some places ban certain types of clothing - why should amyone be exempt?

I'm just rambling now so I am going to have a cup of tea and try to calm down. Just try to see things from a different perspective once in a while rather than seeing everything people may say concerning immigrants in the offensive light that you seem to view it.

And you see it often on the news or in newspapers how someone has been banned from this school or that place for wearing clothing that should not be worn.

You talk out of some place very dark and narrow in my opinion. You stand up for the rights of immigrants and foreign visitors without reservation, and ignore the fact that most of us abide by the rules and regulations in place. For instance - my daughter cannot attend school whilst wearing certain religious jewellery, yet as soon as this happens for some immigrant there is a public outcry.

Most schools have uniforms that should be worn. Why should someone of a different religion be exempt? A job requires that a certain uniform is worn - why should certain religious followers be exempt? Some places ban certain types of clothing - why should amyone be exempt?

I'm just rambling now so I am going to have a cup of tea and try to calm down. Just try to see things from a different perspective once in a while rather than seeing everything people may say concerning immigrants in the offensive light that you seem to view it.

i thought it was just me what saw bf like this but i am not alone . mind you he not alone there are a couple more on here (they know who they are)who also think like this .

Yes I recall the school teacher who was not allowed to wear the burka in the classroom-absolutely right.

You talk out of some place very dark and narrow in my opinion.

I think that sentiment could be more effectively applied to the people who are restricting the freedoms of others.

You stand up for the rights of immigrants and foreign visitors without reservation,

No I dont, I stand up for the freedoms you & I enjoy to be extended to everybody, regardless of their religious, racial or political persuasion, since you're such a scholar of my posts, you will know that I also champion the rights of the BNP to have free access to the democratic platform.

and ignore the fact that most of us abide by the rules and regulations in place.

Yes, most of us do abide by the rules in place, but wearing a burka is not contrary to the rules of common law, that's why I defend a woman's right to wear it, obviously there are exemptions to that, such as for security reasons, but they are dealt with sensitively when the need arises.

For instance - my daughter cannot attend school whilst wearing certain religious jewellery, yet as soon as this happens for some immigrant there is a public outcry.

The school my son goes to has no prohibition on religious jewellery, different schools are free to implement rules as they see fit, frankly I'm not aware of it being a significant issue for 'some immigrant', only certain factions of the tabloid press.

Incidentally, the flexibility on religious dress in schools is not exclusively for the benefit of Muslims, the Plymouth Bretheren, Jews, Sikhs, etc are able to dress in accordance with their religious beliefs-I believe it's all mumbo jumbo, but they're not reasons to prohibit it since it makes not one jot of difference to my life.

Why does it cause you so much consternation? The vast majority of people conform to the rules of the organisations they're affiliated to, some Muslims dont, some non Muslims don't, it's hardly worth a moments reflection.

Thanks for the advice, but frankly it was unnecessary, I dont see everything people say about immigrants in an 'offensive light' but often on this forum that is the case, and I believe in fairness which is why I speak out-I haven't seen you running to those threads to highlight those offensive statements-maybe you're the one trick pony.

Furthermore since you need to 'calm down' perhaps you should take your own advice and not take offence by people who have an opinion that differs from your own. Enjoy your cuppa :)

i thought it was just me what saw bf like this but i am not alone .
LOL, it's not news ricgem, it's a common view with people of your mindset (see, opinions on individuals cuts both ways), believe me, Im not overly concerned about it :thumbsup:

mind you he not alone there are a couple more on here (they know who they are)who also think like this .

..ooo and shock horror, there are more than a couple of people who think like you...surprised??!

LOL, it's not news ricgem, it's a common view with people of your mindset (see, opinions on individuals cuts both ways), believe me, Im not overly concerned about it :thumbsup:

..ooo and shock horror, there are more than a couple of people who think like you...surprised??!

not surprised at all bf but i was at first having doubts about how i saw you. then along come another poster who also see s you as i do and i thought no its just not me who sees you like this (i wonder how many more also see you like that)this thread is about france banning the burka you have wrote numerous comments on here about this that is your choice .then you post a link up to a english migrant worker living in saudi and what she has to do to adapt to their way of life yet fail to argue why she has to do this .but any migrant worker coming here to work and your on the ball sticking up for what we should do to accomadate them (the penny not dropped here yet )see i think some people also see you as a one trick pony :hihi: