Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

If people in the street commented about my grans scarf, saying it was orrible or whatever, then she would have gone with the popular oppinion of it and taken it off herself. And if my grandad told her to put it back on she would have told him where to get off, because women before her gave her the courage to do so with their actions and lifes.

It seems to me that it takes a lot more courage to continue to wear something you believe is right for you even after people have criticised you for it or called it 'horrible or whatever', rather than to change your ways just because of pressure from people on the street.

If someone had done that to my Gran they would have got a whack from her handbag. She hit the wrestler Mick McManus with it, so I can't see her being reserved in expressing her displeasure with some rude oik.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:..sounds a top burd Wildcat. I hope she managed to land one on Kendo Nagasaki too :thumbsup:

Edited by boyfriday

It seems to me that it takes a lot more courage to continue to wear something you believe is right for you even after people have criticised you for it or called it 'horrible or whatever', rather than to change your ways just because of pressure from people on the street.
Not as much courage as it would take for a Muslim women to shun the Burka if the man she was with played a part in her wearing it in the first place would you not agree ?

Not as much courage as it would take for a Muslim women to shun the Burka if the man she was with played a part in her wearing it in the first place would you not agree ?

Yes, I do. I will, however, always defend a woman's right to choose to wear the burkha... and hold a lot of respect for continuing to do so despite the disgust directed at her by some for her choice of clothing.

Yes, I do. I will, however, always defend a woman's right to choose to wear the burkha... and hold a lot of respect for continuing to do so despite the disgust directed at her by some for her choice of clothing.
It is only the fear of admiration that makes this appealing to some husbands.

I try to imagine how wearing one would have come about and why anyone would have thought it a good idea in the first place. I imagine that it came about from some sort of infadelity by women or maybe some by some being raped and when it was brought before the law (if thats what youd call it) they would have put it down as being a problem of the women and said to the hubby that maybe it be a good idea that they get covered up properly.

Here tho we have laws that are strong enough to bring people to justice and women are equal so there is no need to put all the enthasis on the women and blaim. People still try it on now tho when aqused of rape and the likes by using the defence 'she was asking for it' because she may have dressed in a seemingly provocative mannor or whatever, but its wrong and the law does not stand ofr it.

Here the law takes the view that a woman can dress as provocative as they want and men have no right to think they can do as they please with them. The courts here dont take the view that they should have been dressed from hear to toe and then it would not have happened.

Thats why it sticks in the throat of many femanists here, after all that was fought and won, they now see this as being draconian and as having no place in our sociaty.

I try to imagine how wearing one would have come about and why anyone would have thought it a good idea in the first place. I imagine that it came about from some sort of infadelity by women or maybe some by some being raped and when it was brought before the law (if thats what youd call it) they would have put it down as being a problem of the women and said to the hubby that maybe it be a good idea that they get covered up properly.

Here tho we have laws that are strong enough to bring people to justice and women are equal so there is no need to put all the enthasis on the women and blaim. People still try it on now tho when aqused of rape and the likes by using the defence 'she was asking for it' because she may have dressed in a seemingly provocative mannor or whatever, but its wrong and the law does not stand ofr it.

Here the law takes the view that a woman can dress as provocative as they want and men have no right to think they can do as they please with them. The courts here dont take the view that they should have been dressed from hear to toe and then it would not have happened.

Thats why it sticks in the throat of many femanists here, after all that was fought and won, they now see this as being draconian and as having no place in our sociaty.

I think the reason some feminists are against it is because they have made the presumption that anyone wearing a burkha has been forced into it by a man, which is the common misconception. Perhaps some have and I don't agree with that one bit but people make too many presumptions regarding burkha-wearers. As to the rape thing, I don't think the women who choose to wear the burkha do it to prevent being raped, it is my understanding that the women who wear it voluntarily do so because they believe that only the husband should have the privilege of seeing their face. It's not vanity either and it doesn't come from (as one poster has previously stated) them feeling they are beautiful and presuming any men that look upon them will find them attractive, rather it comes from respect for their marriage; clearly their husband finds them attractive and they want to save him the privilege of being the only man (other than relatives) to look upon her.

It's seems a little patronising for you to explain the legal status to us law abiding residents of Sheffield as though this is our first introduction to the system hard2miss.:hihi: The only point of discussion our respective stances on what others should be forced not to wear because of our own prejudices against them and not anything they have forced upon us.

So we know what the law is and live by those norms everyday of our lives, it's just that I feel it's not normal for me or you to dictate to others and limit their choice of clothing through our own insecurities.

Edited by tab1

I think the reason some feminists are against it is because they have made the presumption that anyone wearing a burkha has been forced into it by a man, which is the common misconception. Perhaps some have and I don't agree with that one bit but people make too many presumptions regarding burkha-wearers. As to the rape thing, I don't think the women who choose to wear the burkha do it to prevent being raped, it is my understanding that the women who wear it voluntarily do so because they believe that only the husband should have the privilege of seeing their face. It's not vanity either and it doesn't come from (as one poster has previously stated) them feeling they are beautiful and presuming any men that look upon them will find them attractive, rather it comes from respect for their marriage; clearly their husband finds them attractive and they want to save him the privilege of being the only man (other than relatives) to look upon her.

I am not saying that, I am saying that wearing a Burka reminds women of times when it was nessersary and even compulsary to be covered, even here in this country. Femanists see it more as a symbol and one against what they struggled to free themselves of and another culture turning up with old values is something they feel strongly about.

As for 'the rape thing', Im not saying wearing one would stop you being raped, I am trying to think of a sinario where anyone would think it a good idea to have women wear them and I was suggesting that it be used as a cop out for tackaling the real problem of men taking advantage over the woman and put the responcability on her.

How can anyone be nieve enough to think tho its about only keeping the beauty of someone for one person, as if it would get wiped off the more eyes saw it ?

Isnt it more believeable that a man would not want other men seeing his woman in case he wanted her ? and from days where there was no law/peace keepers, like the police force invented in this country, they were encouraged to not let other men see them in the first place and thus take away the temptation ?

I would say that respect for the marrage is something to do with it but not in the sense that we in this country would recognise.

I am not saying that, I am saying that wearing a Burka reminds women of times when it was nessersary and even compulsary to be covered, even here in this country. Femanists see it more as a symbol and one against what they struggled to free themselves of and another culture turning up with old values is something they feel strongly about.

There are some who regard women with face lifts and fake boobs as being oppressed by men who sexually objectify women, but I don't hear many seeking a ban on cosmetic surgery.