Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

I saw a TV interviewer talking to an French Muslim who said that she wore a burka because she didn't want all the men to be attracted to her. I hope that something she said was "lost in translation" because she must have been quite arrogant to think that all men would find her attractive. What is wrong with men finding women attractive? Or is there an implication that a woman's beauty make all men lose their respect of others and their self control? Are men that weak willed?

I find more than a few blokes attractive and they're not wearing burkas to stop me seeing their faces. From the sublime to the ridiculus - what about all muslims wearing burkas in the name of equality.

We might all disagree with her reasons for wearing it, but would you deny her the choice to do so?

You might equally say that some non Muslim British women want men to look at them and wear revealing clothes to that effect and often it's an assault on my delicate senses observing teenage girls tottering on their glass heels with grubby thongs on show and their tattooed tits smacking everyone in the face..should we ban that mode of dress too?

We might all disagree with her reasons for wearing it, but would you deny her the choice to do so?

You might equally say that some non Muslim British women want men to look at them and wear revealing clothes to that effect and often it's an assault on my delicate senses observing teenage girls tottering on their glass heels with grubby thongs on show and their tattooed tits smacking everyone in the face..should we ban that mode of dress too?

Oh please NO!!:hihi:

so what makes you more qualified and caring for the Muslim women than them hard2miss?

I do not claim to. I am mearly stating my oppinion of it all and the reasoning for my thinking.

I have explained why I think it should be banned and have made no personal claim to wish to fight the cause on behalf of Muslim women. I would vote for a ban on all the reasons I have put and after reading the reasoning of other that oppose it.

It would be the same if this was about disabled rights. If I had an oppinion on that I would not have to have a personal interest in it. I would not have to have a dissability or claim to know or be fighting for anyone inparticular.

It would be the same if this was about disabled rights. If I had an oppinion on that I would not have to have a personal interest in it. I would not have to have a dissability or claim to know or be fighting for anyone inparticular.

But if you were fighting for something concerning disabled people don't you think their opinion on the matter would hold more weight than yours?

because you can still see their face thats why.

with a bukkha you see nothing but the eyes. it is oppresive and unnerving and should not be allowed.

I was responding to a post suggesting that women wear the burkha for reasons other than their own, similarly many women have plastic surgery at the behest of men or believing it makes them more attractive them.

I take it you're not even a female hard2miss, so it would be impossible for you to be a feminist, therefore I don't see how you can know what feminists all think.
Where do you get the idea that you have to be female to be a feminist? One of the most prominent feminists of all time was a man, John Stuart Mill, and there are many male supporters of the feminist movement, even on SF. It's a popular misconception that males can't be feminist. And not even feminists claim to know what all other feminists think. There's several different strands in the movement, even today.

If you think about it, it makes more sense for men to support women's rights, than to seek to oppress them. Over the last forty years, the effects of "Women's Lib" (to coin a phrase) has actually worked to ameliorate the effects of the main responsibilty that men were considered to have, of financing the home and family and assumimg governance over their wives and children. Would many men actually want to return to previous ages when they had solely to bear that responsibility? I doubt it.

Where do you get the idea that you have to be female to be a feminist? One of the most prominent feminists of all time was a man, John Stuart Mill, and there are many male supporters of the feminist movement, even on SF. It's a popular misconception that males can't be feminist. And not even feminists claim to know what all other feminists think. There's several different strands in the movement, even today.

If you think about it, it makes more sense for men to support women's rights, than to seek to oppress them. Over the last forty years, the effects of "Women's Lib" (to coin a phrase) has actually worked to ameliorate the effects of the main responsibilty that men were considered to have, of financing the home and family and assumimg governance over their wives and children. Would many men actually want to return to previous ages when they had solely to bear that responsibility? I doubt it.

You Go Sister ! :hihi:

Fair enough, I guess hard2miss could be a feminist. Hello rubydazzler, if I recall correctly you are one of the backward thinking feminists on this topic that I mentioned in post #536?