Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

The difference being I dont oppose this in the name of god, The people made to be wearing the burkas are probably have more in common with that sentance than I.
The trouble is we dont know who those people are or even if they exist.

and People here are still fighting for the rights of Africans, a bit of that 'zeal' wouldnt go a miss in Zimbarbwe right now.

I dont think Christian missionaries were fighting for the rights of Africans however Zimbabwe could def do with some zeal right now, but not of the religious kind.

There are some who regard women with face lifts and fake boobs as being oppressed by men who sexually objectify women, but I don't hear many seeking a ban on cosmetic surgery.

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown argues that "a girl in a boob tube and a girl in a hijab are both symbols of unhealthy sexual objectification".

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/yasmin-alibhai-brown/yasmin-alibhaibrown-we-dont-yet-live-in-an-islamic-republic-so-i-will-say-it--i-find-the-veil-offensive-419333.html

So you are correct to bring in the comparison with fake boobs. If we can accept one side of a girl's "unhealthy sexual objectification", then we should accept the other. Both girls may argue that it is their choice, whilst there may be varying degrees of male coercion.

Following this same logic of course neatly demolishes any idea that the burqa/niqab is "modest", it is the opposite of modest just as the boob tube is.

However, I would go further and argue that the niqab is offensive, whilst the boob tube is not.

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown is offended by it because she says that it is represents a politicised Islam, and because she is a feminist.

I am offended by it simply by being a man. Girls that wear boob tubes and skimpy skirts are only offending themselves, girls that wear the niqab are making a statement about men.

A few weeks ago I saw three young girls wearing niqabs fabricated from Pakistani flags. I can only guess they were worn to offend, they certainly weren't "modest". They would have offended Yasmin Alibhai-Brown for sure.

Of course I don't have a right not to be offended, and I would never support any attempts to ban a girl's right to wear anything.

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown argues that "a girl in a boob tube and a girl in a hijab are both symbols of unhealthy sexual objectification".

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/yasmin-alibhai-brown/yasmin-alibhaibrown-we-dont-yet-live-in-an-islamic-republic-so-i-will-say-it--i-find-the-veil-offensive-419333.html

So you are correct to bring in the comparison with fake boobs. If we can accept one side of a girl's "unhealthy sexual objectification", then we should accept the other. Both girls may argue that it is their choice, whilst there may be varying degrees of male coercion.

Following this same logic of course neatly demolishes any idea that the burqa/niqab is "modest", it is the opposite of modest just as the boob tube is.

However, I would go further and argue that the niqab is offensive, whilst the boob tube is not.

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown is offended by it because she says that it is represents a politicised Islam, and because she is a feminist.

I am offended by it simply by being a man. Girls that wear boob tubes and skimpy skirts are only offending themselves, girls that wear the niqab are making a statement about men.

A few weeks ago I saw three young girls wearing niqabs fabricated from Pakistani flags. I can only guess they were worn to offend, they certainly weren't "modest". They would have offended Yasmin Alibhai-Brown for sure.

Of course I don't have a right not to be offended, and I would never support any attempts to ban a girl's right to wear anything.

I would agree with you about the offensiveness of cutting up an actual nation's flag to make a garment out of. That's disrespectful.

I would agree with you about the offensiveness of cutting up an actual nation's flag to make a garment out of. That's disrespectful.
Indeed I would second that PT but I do have reservations about the authenticity of the flag claim. Being Muslim is usually equated with Pakistanis by a certain ignorant section of the racist community who make up justifications to back up their warped arguments.

I can understand it at a cricket match or something similar where they would need to show support or other, but just to walk the streets would be bizarre.

Edited by tab1

I expect that is precisely why they did it.

Rather like punks in the seventies in their bondage trousers, the intention is provoke, it is a part of our youth culture to do this and has been for sometime.