Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

My bolds. I accept your comments, perhaps I get a little overheated at times. Due probably to being a backwards old feminist as shaz112 earlier described me ;).

Sorry rubydazzler, I think you took that the wrong way. I meant your view on feminism and it's relation to burkha wearers was backwards, not you personally. And I never called you old! :huh:

Having read and assimilated the posts from everyone over the years. Especially the ones from KtBean (who is always eminently sensible, reasoned and practical) tab1 (who used to be almost rabidly and insultingly anti everything Western and has changed out of all recognition lately) and hard2miss (who since s/he arrived has proved a great debater and willing to change stance when faced with good reasons) I've realised that once I divest myself of my 'but it's just so gender biased and unfair' knee jerk reaction, I actually agree with the 'leave it alone for now' gang.

Why should I fret myself about young women, brought up in a free and equal society who actually choose on occasion to wrap themselves up? There are far worse things to worry about in this world. The operative word after all is "choose" ;)

Banning would be useless and probably result in mass civil disobedience from people who would have not given it a second thought if left alone. Ridicule is just plain nasty and bullying and would probably only result in escalation of the victim mentality. For consenting adults, I'm cool with it. Disapproving of the practice still, but chilled.

Not that it makes any difference to anyone, but I felt compelled to say it publically.

Excellent post, I'm glad you've managed to get past your 'knee-jerk' reaction and see sense. I agree with you 100%. :)

Excellent post, hard2miss, and I think most reasonable people would find it difficult to disagree with most of your points.

It has occured to me lately whether the proliferation of articles by well known commentators, YAB for one, are the beginning of an attempt to 'soften' up public opinion?

It's actually going to be pretty hard for some EU citizens to travel about freely if one country has a totally different set of regulations.

Excellent post, I'm glad you've managed to get past your 'knee-jerk' reaction and see sense. I agree with you 100%. :)
deleted my original comment. Sorry, that was very ungracious of me. It's just that when certain people agree with one, one automatically thinks one must be wrong! :D Edited by rubydazzler

Excellent post, hard2miss, and I think most reasonable people would find it difficult to disagree with most of your points.

It has occured to me lately whether the proliferation of articles by well known commentators, YAB for one, are the beginning of an attempt to 'soften' up public opinion?

It's actually going to be pretty hard for some EU citizens to travel about freely if one country has a totally different set of regulations.

What's YAB, pardon my ignorance?

i dunno if this has been mentioned already

"However, the report is cautious in what it recommends. It foresees a ban on the burka in all schools, public transport and government offices. Women who wear the full veil could be denied services such as work visas or even French citizenship.

But the commission has steered away from a general ban including wearing it on the street. They were uncertain about the legality of such a ban"

so theyre going to do a nulaBORE and part do something but not do it fully and fudge the whole issue making it complicated and unenforcable?

i dunno if this has been mentioned already

"However, the report is cautious in what it recommends. It foresees a ban on the burka in all schools, public transport and government offices. Women who wear the full veil could be denied services such as work visas or even French citizenship.

But the commission has steered away from a general ban including wearing it on the street. They were uncertain about the legality of such a ban"

so theyre going to do a nulaBORE and part do something but not do it fully and fudge the whole issue making it complicated and unenforcable?

So all in all it was another populist exercise to get in the electorates' good books. Looks like job done?