Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

I'm staggered that you say this - is this supposed to be a serious reason for banning? The UK isn't monocultural even among so - called 'indigenous' Brits. Why would you seek to make it so?

Ethnicity and culture are not connected, you know that so please stop stooping to the usual BNP angle.

The UK is not monoculture, no, we are part of the wider European culture. Middle eastern and cultures further afield are not part of or even related to our own. Cultural ties happened over thousands of years by way of population migration, starting primarily with the Romans, then the Saxons and then the Normans. There was no great migration of populations form the Middle East to the UK, this is why their cultures are alien to our own.

Our culture is our identity and those willing to disregard it for nothing other than to try and appear liberal are fools.

Why would anyone wish to cast aside over a hundred years of struggle and equality campaigning just so a few ignorant people can cut themselves off from society, a society they still wish to benefit from but wish to segregate themselves from for no logical reason. It goes to show how far certain liberal minded people are willing to go to appease anyone except vast majority of the UK people. This is why the likes of the BNP are on the rise. Liberals and their ilk are willing to sell the rest of the population down the river just so they can feel good about themselves and slap each other on the back. But after this has finished and the cold light of day begins to outline the world around you, what do you have left? You forfeited your own identity in favour of others.

It is not unreasonable for people to be asked o fit in, especially those who are importing cultural traditions that are alien to the host culture and country. This is not about Islam or any religion for that matter, it is about segregation which breads fear and misunderstanding. Those wearing the Burqa and the niqab are purposely setting themselves apart from the rest of the population. It is a calculated step and a statement that the outside world, you and I are not welcome. Our culture is our brand, our identity and it is the very reason so many people come to our shores for a better life.

Some may feel my views are wrong or invalid, but I challenge anyone who thinks this to stand on a street corner for a few hours asking average British people what they think of the Burqa.

Does that really put me in the "pitchfork" category boyfriday?
Absolutely not quisquose and I did go on to say it didnt. It was just that the argument you used was more applicable to one of our less enlightened friends ;)

Rather than calling for a ban, I'm trying to explain that our problem with the niqab is of our own making by giving it special status that is undeserved.

Well you did go on and appear to support a ban in your subsequent post referencing Yasmin Brown, or perhaps I've misunderstood?

The bank cashier who told me that she would rather cash the petty cash cheque without question, the busdriver that allows the child fare without question. These are all every day examples of our own hesitation to communicate as we should, but instead we hide behind the anonymous and childish shouts to ban.

Absolutely agree, but you see the ban lobby are merely seeking reasons to prohibit something that displeasures them.

We are cowards, if we are uncomfortable communicating with somebody who has their face covered we should tell them, but instead we want our MP's to sort it out for us.

Well everything seems to happen to me at my local minmart lately, I encountered a Muslim woman wearing the niqab, I stopped to let her cross the road in front of me as she left the shop, I was hoping for some kind of response from her..and although she didnt engage in an impromptu performance of the Dance of the Seven Veils, I could see her eyes were smiling and she stuck her thumbs up as she went on her way.

The only reason people feel threatened by burka/niqab wearers is because it's alien to them, once they have them as neighbours they will soon realise they are like the rest of us, they slag off thier partners for not putting the bins out, the kids get a clip round the ear for having a crafty fag in the shed and they even discreetly put up a Xmas tree at Yuletide, having said all that, Im sure they mirror our negative qualities too and some are idiots.

My wife doesn't wear the burka and often takes the bus into city centre, and so far no stranger has approached her just to talk to her, so she is now complaining why there is always a queue of people wishing to talk to the woman with the burkha? Anybody know why?

How many of these racists with excuses about communication difficulties and such garbage actually talk to Muslim women who aren't wearing a burkha? Not many I guess, and it's still all Muslim's fault:roll:

Ethnicity and culture are not connected, you know that so please stop stooping to the usual BNP angle.

The UK is not monoculture, no, we are part of the wider European culture. Middle eastern and cultures further afield are not part of or even related to our own. Cultural ties happened over thousands of years by way of population migration, starting primarily with the Romans, then the Saxons and then the Normans. There was no great migration of populations form the Middle East to the UK, this is why their cultures are alien to our own.

Our culture is our identity and those willing to disregard it for nothing other than to try and appear liberal are fools.

Why would anyone wish to cast aside over a hundred years of struggle and equality campaigning just so a few ignorant people can cut themselves off from society, a society they still wish to benefit from but wish to segregate themselves from for no logical reason. It goes to show how far certain liberal minded people are willing to go to appease anyone except vast majority of the UK people. This is why the likes of the BNP are on the rise. Liberals and their ilk are willing to sell the rest of the population down the river just so they can feel good about themselves and slap each other on the back. But after this has finished and the cold light of day begins to outline the world around you, what do you have left? You forfeited your own identity in favour of others.

It is not unreasonable for people to be asked o fit in, especially those who are importing cultural traditions that are alien to the host culture and country. This is not about Islam or any religion for that matter, it is about segregation which breads fear and misunderstanding. Those wearing the Burqa and the niqab are purposely setting themselves apart from the rest of the population. It is a calculated step and a statement that the outside world, you and I are not welcome. Our culture is our brand, our identity and it is the very reason so many people come to our shores for a better life.

Some may feel my views are wrong or invalid, but I challenge anyone who thinks this to stand on a street corner for a few hours asking average British people what they think of the Burqa.

So despite all the posts on this thread, the only reason you can think that people might be against taking the extraordinary step of introducing new legislation to ban a garment of clothing is

- to appease Muslims (whatever that means)

- to feel good about themselves

?

My wife doesn't wear the burka and often takes the bus into city centre, and so far no stranger has approached her just to talk to her, so she is now complaining why there is always a queue of people wishing to talk to the woman with the burkha? Anybody know why?
They might be intimidated by her mohican and all those body piercings tab, you really need to rein that girl in fella :hihi:

The more cultural arguments (Islam image and women issues) are a fabrication, call it 'liberal PR padding' at the government's initiative.

The core argument (insofar as the French Government is concerned) and real drive behind the project is security, at the initiative of the DGSE and DST, who are commonly held to have domestic and overseas intelligence suggesting that increase in wearers in France year-on-year is tied with long-term terrorist/political activities of radicals within suburbs of Paris, Lyon and Marseille (and overseas ties in the Maghreb, Eastern Africa and the Middle East).

For them, it isn't so much a question of fearing niqab-wearing males or females strolling down the Champs Elysées with a Martyrs-R-Us 'surprise' corset, than a question of curbing any development that can be attributed to, or linked to, or merely perceived as, growing radicalism, through means fair or foul. In this instance, probably foul (however, probably fair if any ensuing legislation is not niqab-specific, but encompasses any garment or accessory, such as helmets, hoodies and whatnot).

Within that context, the point at which the issue of security intersects that of cultural preference/preservation is quite indistinct, but it's there alright.

Edited by L00b