Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

How ironic is that? Tell me Harleyman, how does banning people from wearing what they choose reinforce the 'European mentality' (?) of freedom of choice in dress?

Banning the bhurka is not the issue I'm making even though it is the subject of the thread. I think the French might just be trampling on their own constitutional ideas of freedom by banning it. They're getting themselves into a quagmire by seemingly saying what's right to wear and not to wear although in some matters the right of schools to require their students to wear a uniform or at least to fully bare their faces is a sensible and reasonable one

My issue was in relation to the forced wearing of the burka which is against the ideals of freedom of choice and the French government were correct in denying the man citizenship

you might be right but i think also that no one seems to dare question the burka wearers in fear (if any) of repurcussions.now unless we have a security guard/bank worker who can clarify what their procedures are on tackling burka wearing people we never going to know. that is of course the said securityguard/bank worker actually knows the procedure :huh:

I think this is utter rubbish. Why do women in burqas need to be challenged?

In order to establish their identity for banking or security reasons, in which case those with a right to such information have every right to ask for that information and do.

Who said the woman wanted to wear a burka? She was doing to subject to the will of her husband. Why are you having difficulty with this? The woman should have been allowed to choose - not forced to wear something just because of her husband's religion.

Tell me, since you appear to be pro choice, would you just as fervently defend a womans right to wear this item of clothing?

there we go again, the proverbial YOU, not US

WE ALL go round in circles on these threads, this threads been going around in circles since about the 2nd page.

its NOT just the "liberals" you know, that are saying the same old crap, its US ALL

I agree, I personaly have got engrosed in this thread and others I may add of the same nature and gone over and over the same points, and still am here reading it and contributing the same stuff with a different spin.

I dont think there is anything wrong with it, new people come and think its the first time its been heard from one side of the argument or the other and passionatly argue the case while unaware of the previous x amount of identical arguments. The problem is topics get heated and go on and on and anyone new just dont have the time time or stamina to read from scratch. This new input soon has the older posters back to correct and re-affirm the arguments against theres ect ect ect.

That why I have stopped or have tryed to (other than coming to read if anything new has been added and offering a little comic relif to the topic), I stated my possition and dont think repeting it is benifitial to anyone.

I am not saying everyone should tho, once someone comes on with new vigour and tries to finnish the topic with their stance and have the last word, it is hard not to jump back onboard and 'not let them get away with it !' :hihi:

I agree. Immigrants should be given a maximum of five years to learn the language of their adopted country in order to qualify for citizenship There are plenty of language institutes and classes available for those who want to make the effort

I lived in Quebec, Canada for about a year. English and French are both recognized as official languages in Canada and Quebec is around 85 percent French speaking. I went to classes three times a week after work and by the end of the year I was able to carry out a fairly fluent conversation with a French speaking Quebecer. Had I remained there I'm sure that by the end of the second year I would have not only been completely fluent but also able to read and write French with a pretty fair degree of accuracy.

If I could do it anyone could.

but did you try to impose your beliefs on your adopted country ?did you fit in with their way of life ?i bet you adapted to your new surroundings and got on with your life .i just wish people coming here would do the same then these threads would not even get a hearing :hihi:

There's been a few posts that seem to suggest the security risk of having people cover their faces or people possibly disguising themselves with burqas as a reason for a ban, but that is probably one of the arguments the French havn't used for a ban, the French want it banned because they believe it simply does not fit in with traditional French culture, custom and ideals.

you might be right but i think also that no one seems to dare question the burka wearers in fear (if any) of repurcussions.

So we should ban the burka because of peoples perception of a negative reaction if they asked politely to identify someone wearing one?

Has anyone bothered to ask a burka wearer before allowing their imaginations to run wild with them? Somehow I doubt a positive response would placate the sensitivities of those who are simply seeking excuses to curtail the freedoms of people they dont understand

but did you try to impose your beliefs on your adopted country ?did you fit in with their way of life ?i bet you adapted to your new surroundings and got on with your life .i just wish people coming here would do the same then these threads would not even get a hearing :hihi:

For once in my life can you please give me a real example of this hackneyed old garbage about Muslims trying to impose their beliefs on society?

Go on, I dare you. When did a Muslim last try and force their values on you?

Can't be difficult, so tell me.

When mini skirts were popular I always liked my wife in one but if some days she chose to wear jeans, slacks or ankle length dresses who was I to argue?

freedom of choice for all and that's what matters

Thats a good point, but of course there are just as many non Muslim men who prescribe what their partner wears in public.

For some the mini is obligatory for others any brassy display of flesh is frowned upon.