Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

I have seen Muslim women in Magistrates court with head scarf's on, yet people with hats being asked to remove them. (anyone challenging this can see it for themselves)

The point is the establishment do control to some extent what you wear, especially in Gov buildings ect but it seems that they mistake this sort of attire has being religious and make exceptions for it, giving the impression to some that Muslims are bent over backwards for for fear of being labelled.

There have been quite a few misguided rules that seem to give preference to Muslims and fuels the fire for racists.

yet again its ignore the reason why something maybe unfair and try to correct it

instead...............ban it altogether cos i dont like it anyway (because its easier than tackling the unfair issues)

I understand what your saying but Im going on the grounds that its not religious but cultural.

Unless your required as a Muslim to wear a scarf ? if so then I apologise and stand corrected.

I think we're splitting hairs here hard2miss, the wearing of headwear isn't compulsory in all religions, some nuns wear full head dress some dont, some Jewish men wear the skull cap some dont, etc etc.

I doubt you would ever find a judge in this country who demanded a nun remove her headwear because she had a choice over whether she should wear it. Most of us just accept that we dont wear head coverings, those that want to usually have convicted reasons for doing so, if you can pardon the pun, so live and let live.

yet again its ignore the reason why something maybe unfair and try to correct it

instead...............ban it altogether cos i dont like it anyway (because its easier than tackling the unfair issues)

Your point is ?

Can you answer if the scarf is a requirement by Islam ?

If you havent get an answer then dont.

I have removed my flat cap in court and so know that the establishment do dictate what you can and cannot wear in Gov buildings.

Can I just point out that there are no uniforms at all in French (State) schools, in comparison to school-specific uniforms worn by kids in the UK.

But there are extremely strict guidelines prohibiting ostentatious religious accessories/displays/garments in State schools, dating back to the early 1900s. Whereby the "Scarf affair" some years back, and the ensuing "Scarf Law" of 2004.

I'm all for that. Same in US public schools. Separation of church and state A lot of the religious right would like to see religious symbols on display on school campuses but that would be a violation of the constitution

Edited by Harleyman

I think we're splitting hairs here hard2miss, the wearing of headwear isn't compulsory in all religions, some nuns wear full head dress some dont, some Jewish men wear the skull cap some dont, etc etc.

I doubt you would ever find a judge in this country who demanded a nun remove her headwear because she had a choice over whether she should wear it. Most of us just accept that we dont wear head coverings, those that want to usually have convicted reasons for doing so, if you can pardon the pun, so live and let live.

I am answering your earlier question about being required only to cover your genitals.

I know that in some places a dress code is required by Gov boddies and they restrict some garments. This is my point, if people want to get bogged down in my example with the scarf other than whats meant I dont care and will go down that road with them.

When I was in the army we all had to parade for Sunday morning church service while doing basic training. We all filed into the church and removed our berets except one who didnt hear the order. As we took our seats the drill sergeant bellowed out from somewhere in the back rows

"You in the front row. Take yer hat off in the "ouse of God you 'orrible little sod"

Very funny I thought

When I was in the army we all had to parade for Sunday morning church service while doing basic training. We all filed into the church and removed our berets except one who didnt hear the order. As we took our seats the drill sergeant bellowed out from somewhere in the back rows

"You in the front row. Take yer hat off in the "ouse of God you 'orrible little sod"

Very funny I thought

Nothing like showing a bit of respect in the 'ouse of God' :hihi:

I am answering your earlier question about being required only to cover your genitals.
Sorry, I was referring to what the law requires, rather than a religious order.

I know that in some places a dress code is required by Gov boddies and they restrict some garments. This is my point, if people want to get bogged down in my example with the scarf other than whats meant I dont care and will go down that road with them.

Im a bit confused, are you saying that we shouldnt get irate about people who want to wear a scarf or we should stop them from doing so?

You're right about the rules in some government buildings though, but again there are usually good reasons for them.