Looking for information on Lee's House

tedium

I have recently started researching the family tree and it turns out that a pretty close relative used to live in a place called Lees House near the top of Meersbrook Park (near to Bishops House). The house isn't there any more - it got knocked down and there are newer houses there now on (suitably named) Lees House Court.

Can't find anything on google about Lees House so I'm hoping someone might have a bit of local knowledge that would take things a bit further for me. Any info would be appreciated.

Ta

I have recently started researching the family tree and it turns out that a pretty close relative used to live in a place called Lees House near the top of Meersbrook Park (near to Bishops House). The house isn't there any more - it got knocked down and there are newer houses there now on (suitably named) Lees House Court.

Can't find anything on google about Lees House so I'm hoping someone might have a bit of local knowledge that would take things a bit further for me. Any info would be appreciated.

Ta

My father's "adopted" uncle was head gardener at the Lees, this would have been in the 1920's (I think) and I do recall seeing a photo of him taken there with what looked like a greenhouse in the background. I have no other knowledge of the Lees but, I'll ask my mother if she has.

Duffems

Thanks Duffems.

It seems there was/is also a Lees Hall which seems as if it was a much grander jobby - perhaps there would be more likely to be a head gardner there rather than at Lees House?

Apparently one of the old gateposts to Lees House is still there and somone has suggested that (probably during the war?) the top end of Meersbrook park was used as allotments. If that's the case then maybe an old photo of those allotments might "inadvertently" have a picture of Lees House in the background?

Hi tedium - I guess you've looked on picturesheffield.com but in case you haven't, the best I could find there shows only a wall belonging to Lees House - see here - click on 'Zoom' to enlarge. The photo maybe shows the gatepost that you referred to. This photo shows cottages across the road.

If you look on Google Earth you can get a good street-level view of Lees House Court - and there are several stone gateposts, two of which closely resemble the one in the picturesheffield.com photo (except that they don't have the stone "ball" on top).

The 1925 directory shows Lees House at the end of Norton Lees Road, where it meets Norton Lees Lane, with 'Joe Higginbottom' as the occupant. In 1905 Mrs Emily Cockayne was evidently the occupant.

There are still some allotments just across the road from Lees House Court.

Thanks Duffems.

It seems there was/is also a Lees Hall which seems as if it was a much grander jobby - perhaps there would be more likely to be a head gardner there rather than at Lees House?

Apparently one of the old gateposts to Lees House is still there and somone has suggested that (probably during the war?) the top end of Meersbrook park was used as allotments. If that's the case then maybe an old photo of those allotments might "inadvertently" have a picture of Lees House in the background?

Tedium,

Lees Hall, I believe, became the Lees Hall Golf Club, further over toward the Norton Water Tower.

The Lees Hall owned a shedload of land across by Newfield school. Most of the land became the Golf Course. I'm not totally sure if the land upon which Newfield School wasn't part of the Lees Hall estate.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tedium

Interested to read your post as I used to go to see relatives at Lees House when I was a kid (Lily Higginbottom and Nellie Chapman). Auntie Lily lived to be 104!

I would be pleased to have a chat with you and tell you what I know about Lees House. Please PM me with your contact details and I'll get in touch.

Cheers

Nick

• 11 years later...
  • 1 year later...