Eating out of date frozen meals

I have a few frozen meals in my freezer with the date Nov 2009 on them, On the back of the box it says to eat them within a month.

As they are 2 months out of date and have been kept frozen are they safe to eat? Or is it too risky?

They are mainly things like sausage & mash and steak & mash.

If you eat them you will die.

If you don't eat them you will still die.

Why are people obsessed by 'use by' or 'best by' dates?

The only date you really need to concern yourself with is your very own 'get a life' by.

this has been, and will be said time and time again..

Best before is a guide

Use By is an instruction

Best before is saying that they would be better eaten within the date, but it wont/shouldn't harm you if you eat it outside the date.

Use By is saying that if you eat outside date, you run a risk of making yourself ill.

when you freeze something its date becomes void and the dates on them for freezing are their purely to indicate that its quality and taste will lesson the longer it is frozen for.

if you ensure it is piping hot through out then it will be ok and safe to eat it may not taste super fresh but it will be safe non the less.

my mother in law is shocking for this sort of thing and will through loads of stuff from the freezer and tins from the cupboard away because the date has gone.

Unless your freezer is really crap they will be fine. Even if it is really crap they will be fine. Frozen food lasts for bloody ages! I have no idea how long some stuff has been in my freezer but it's all going to get eaten at some point!

Most useby dates can be exceeded by a week, depending on the product and if it has ever been opened. Ignore the dates and smell it, if not sure cook it a bit longer! no wonder so much food gets chucked away.

Archived