Elvis Presley died on 16 August

It's quite strange how I distinctly remember hearing the news of Elvis' death, as I was only six at the time. I was on holiday in Bridlington. We'd just got back from the beach and I remember being sat on the floor in the living room sorting through a bucket of shells and getting sand on the carpet while my mum watched the news on TV.

Favourite songs: 'Don't Be Cruel' and 'Suspicious Minds'.

I don't think either one was a "great singer", I'm a big Sinatra fan, but I would call him a great "crooner" not a great singer, Elvis neither.

It depends how you measure a "Great singer".

To me a great singer isn't one that just reproduces the notes or sounds tuneful but one that adds his or own charisma to their songs, that's what makes Elvis and Sinatra stand out.

Just like Ali, perhaps he wasn't the greatest boxer, but his charisma and self belief made him the "greatest".

It depends how you measure a "Great singer".

To me a great singer isn't one that just reproduces the notes or sounds tuneful but one that adds his or own charisma to their songs, that's what makes Elvis and Sinatra stand out.

Just like Ali, perhaps he wasn't the greatest boxer, but his charasima and self belief made him the "greatest".

Sinatra had the best diction and phrasing of a song,I have ever heard. I have never known anyone who likes both these singers as they seem so different. They did actually appear together on t.v. once.

I never liked him, and still dont.!!! :gag:

Hey Pat, everyone has different tastes but give me Elvis any day over today's wannabe non entities: Will Young, Gareth Gates, X factor winner series 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc

Thinking about it give me Elvis anyday over Sir Elton John!:suspect:

Sinatra had the best diction and phrasing of a song,I have ever heard. I have never known anyone who likes both these singers as they seem so different. They did actually appear together on t.v. once.

I like them both, but I do think that they had utterly different styles.

Having said that, my preferred Elvis is very definitely Costello :) .

Hey Pat, everyone has different tastes but give me Elvis any day over today's wannabe non entities: Will Young, Gareth Gates, X factor winner series 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc

Thinking about it give me Elvis anyday over Sir Elton John!:suspect:

I know it sounds silly, but I could never stand his dyed black hair.:gag:

I like them both, but I do think that they had utterly different styles.

Having said that, my preferred Elvis is very definitely Costello :) .

In my younger years I was a great fan of Elvis Costello, especially his "Armed forces", "Get Happy" and "Trust" periods.

I haven't been so keen on his more current offerings though.

For me I'd give the King the nod over Mr.Costello, although in my youth I may have said the opposite.:|

Archived