Elvis Presley died on 16 August

I have to say I've enjoyed Elvis (and Sinatra) more as I've grown older.

I'm a big Johnny Cash fan and have often found it interesting to see how Elvis and Johnny had very similar starting points, but then went their different ways. The 'Million Dollar Session' that both Cash and Presley contributed to early in their careers would have been quite something. :)

Presley, Cash and Sinatra all were great performers of songs; I find it hard to choose but would do so in terms of:

Musicianship / Style - Sinatra

Energy / Sexuality - Presley

Heart and Soul - Cash

I have to say I've enjoyed Elvis (and Sinatra) more as I've grown older.

Presley, Cash and Sinatra all were great performers of songs; I find it hard to choose but would do so in terms of:

Musicianship / Style - Sinatra

Energy / Sexuality - Presley

Heart and Soul - Cash

There you are Pat in just one evening you have discovered at least 3 people who like Elvis and Sinatra!:)

...I haven't been so keen on his more current offerings though.;...

No, me neither and that's speaking as a confirmed Costello fan. He lost the plot around the time he went into lounge lizard mode, working with Burt Bacharach. I think his last excellent album was 'Brutal Youth' back in '94 ish, though 'All This Useless Beauty' in '96 was good too.

He's married and happy with new babies these days. Happiness never did much for a musician's output, especially the bitterness and bile-fuelled Costello. Let's hope the divorce is announced soon :hihi: .

The only song I like that he sings is " You are always on my mind" but I beleive another country & western singer covers a better version.

That is a great song - I have to say that when I was trying to judge my favourite Elvis songs that was up there too. :)

The only song I like that he sings is " You are always on my mind" but I beleive another country & western singer covers a better version.

Willie Nelson is the singer you are referring to.

Joe, Pat I actually don't think that this was a particuarly good song sung by Elvis and agree Willie Nelson does that one better.

In terms of slow songs then I think these are the best Elvis songs :

"Cant help falling in love"

"Crying in the chapel"

"In the ghetto"

"Kentucky rain"

There are others better than "Always on my mind" but these spring to my mind (No pun intended!) at the moment.:)

Archived