Best Indian restaurant / curry house in Sheffield - Megathread

MANGLA...always quality, 2 asian doctors from my local GP practice eat there so that is unsheikhable testimony (guess the doctor;))

Koh-I-Noor (Handsworth) - Rashid and his team offer warm welcome and several pubs near the restaurant

SHAPLA - Btm of Moor - fantastic pickle tray

BUTLER's BALTI - Understand they just opening up in new premises just up from West Bar, across from Fagins pub

"Unsheikable testimony" - so your Asian docs are not Arabs then? :hihi:

Look mate, it's like this...

Just because an Indian person chooses to eat in an Indian restaurant does NOT mean that it is a good restaurant.

It's a bit like saying...

"I went into an English restaurant last night and it was full of English people so it must be good".

We hear this kind of thing a lot when folks are looking to justify Chinese and Indian places and it's just not any evidence at all.

What I would say is that, your Asian docs, are probably well placed to have an opinion because they have no doubt tried most if not all of the places in town at someone else's expense. The Mangla up Spital hill is definitely one that the Asian docs rate very highly. It's cheap and basic but the food is good.

Having said that - it's not one of my favourite places. I don't like the area - it feels very unsafe - and I don't feel it's much of a night out to go there. The food is good, but it's not that special that I want to sacrifice my personal safety for it, or sit around in a place that is like a big busman's cafe.

I'd rather pay more and go somewhere nicer. In my opinion Akbar's is the best Indian food in Sheffield. (I base that on having taken Asian docs to restaurants for the last 20 years or so. So, it's unshakeable! ;))

Except Akbars isn't in Sheffield - it's in no mans land between Meadowhall and Rotherham. And it's like going in a dungeon - so dim in there.

Around the city centre I used to like Aagrah - especially for the fresh fish. But haven't been recently so don't know if it's still good. Many years ago Nirmal's was the best authentic Indian food in town - I see that place is still going but I lost interest in it because I couldn't stand her constant interference.

I tried Nawaab and though it was rubbish. Then there's about another 12 or so that I've tried and they've all been pretty ordinary. Butlers and 7 spices probably the best of that bunch.

TBH - there's a very good Indian takeaway within a few miles of where I live and although they don't do fish (which is a favourite for me and rarely found in Indian restaurants) their food is as good or better than most restaurants I've tried. That's Takdir at Parkhead.

You are all missing the best indian by far with the best atmosphere, food, music, service, cleanliness and all at reasonable prices, but you will have to book well in advance if you want to eat there at the weekend. Where is this place ? The Mogul Room on Sharrowvale Rd. Another plus point is that there are plenty of really good pubs nearby. This is food cooked fresh to your liking, try to ask for ingredients to be excluded or milder elsewhere that way you will know if its been prepared earlier and then frozen....

Hey you guys have tickled my taste buds.

Canl anyone tell which is a good restaurant in Glasgow would surely visit to eat something good this weekend.

Hey not just tell a good Indian restaurant but even tell what I must eat out there.

Edited by faizal