Ladbrokes refuse to pay man who won £7.1 million

A guy that potentially won over 7 million pounds at Ladbrokes with an accumulator bet (snow at xmas) has been offered less than £32. They have wriggled out like the insurance companies do, even though the error was on their side.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE60734X20100108

I remember reading somewhere that the bookmakers have no legal obligation to pay a bet out. I bet the bloke is gutted.

I remember reading somewhere that the bookmakers have no legal obligation to pay a bet out. I bet the bloke is gutted.

Yes he actually said he felt gutted. As Ladbrokes made the error, you would have thought they would have given him something half decent to save face & avoid bad publicity. Now, they face a legal battle (and bad publicity) and the outcome of that may set a legal precedent. How silly was their £32 decission.

Best of luck,this is what their website rules state.

https://www.ladbrokes.com/lb_portal/en/help/rules/genrules.html

When the same selection is taken to win more than one event, the only bets available at the current odds are Singles.

When we offer betting opportunities from the same event, these cannot be combined in accumulative bets where the outcome is related. The only exception to this is where special fixed prices are made available, for example; a Scorecast on a football match.

It seems to be their error,but even so there is usually a limit on bets of 100,000/1which is better than £32.

I take it then that if the guy had parted with £7M to place the bet - and it was discovered that Ladbrokes should not have accepted it - he would have been entitled to his money back?

Who was working behind the counter? Messrs Brown and Darling?

Archived