Ladbrokes refuse to pay man who won £7.1 million

I agree with you and I think something similar happens at football.

For example I don't think (perhaps someone can correct me) you can have an accumulator on the first scorer and the final score as obviously one influence the other.

You can't have the bet as a double, as it's a related contingency, but in this particular instance they offer a 'scorecast' which is a single bet dependent on the two outcomes. The nub and gist is that they offer shorter odds on that bet in comparison to the potential odds on the double.

For example, in the forthcoming match between Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers, the odds with Brokelads on Tévez to score the first goal are 7/2, and for City to win 2-1 are 7/1. This would provide odds of 35/1 if you could have them as a double. As the two outcomes are related, you can't place the double, but they do offer a 'scorecast' price of 20/1 for that particular coupling.

My problem with this is that they appear to have accepted the bet and I don't think it s unreasonable to expect them to honour it.

I'd like to see the actual betting slip/request. The odds would have to be marked on it by an employee for the odds at the time the bet was struck to be those at which they'd pay out. Assuming that has happened, then whoever took the bet has seriously messed up.

I remember seeing a documentary once about a bloke who made a living from gambling on the weather, and the bets were actually on sheets of A4, and taken in a pub by a rep from the bookies he used.

I kid you not.

But I would be taking legal advice as you could argue the bet was accepted

On that point, you would definitely lose. The bet isn't formally accepted until after it's been "translated" by the computers, and resolved into what bet it actually is. The cashiers are just that nowadays - cashiers. They take the slip and the money, and the computer, later on, decides if the bet is acceptable or not.

On that point, you would definitely lose. The bet isn't formally accepted until after it's been "translated" by the computers, and resolved into what bet it actually is. The cashiers are just that nowadays - cashiers. They take the slip and the money, and the computer, later on, decides if the bet is acceptable or not.

Again though HN, you'd need to take the prices, and these should be marked by an employee. Added to this, I'd say it's odds-on that an employee would have to have phoned up for the odds on each postcode (they don't offer odds on 'towns').

I think it boils down to the instructions on the bet, and if the bet has instructions which aren't acceptable, then unfortunately Brokelads are well within their rights to only pay out as they offered.

In case people are wondering why the payout offered is so low, it's not just that they'd payout on singles only. They would have divided the original bets (totalling £10) by 24 (the number of selections in total), and settled each bet therefore as a single to a stake of 42p (ronuded up).

Again though HN, you'd need to take the prices, and these should be marked by an employee.

Unless you're willing to place the bet unpriced and have it settled at ... well, it'd be SP on a horse race, on an event like this, it would be "price offered at the time the bet was struck." They could work out afterwards what that price was.

Unless you're willing to place the bet unpriced and have it settled at ... well, it'd be SP on a horse race, on an event like this, it would be "price offered at the time the bet was struck." They could work out afterwards what that price was.

Technically possible, but as likely as me winning the Grand National at Aintree on my hands ;). I'm yet to see any sort of 'ante-post' bet accepted without a price being taken. Usually because the punter would ask for a price.

In any case, the bet wouldn't have been taken unless all parties knew that there were markets available.

It is a very interesting thread this.

My take is that he should get more than basic singles for the bets he placed but not at the accumulator rates.

But I would be taking legal advice as you could argue the bet was accepted and not all the towns are linked.

It would be interesting to know if they'd have paid him out if one of them hadn't had snow, could they then argue they were linked so the accumulator fails.

My bold. I think you may be right Titanic99. I had a look at the Labrookes website, where it states:

Specials

Specials is our description for bets on, normally, non-sporting events such as politics, current affairs or financial matters.

Bets on "Special" markets are available as singles only, unless otherwise stated on our site.

Specific rules and conditions relating to each individual "Specials" market will be displayed onsite as these markets become available online..

The maximum payout on any bet which includes a selection, or selections, from a "Specials" market is £10,000, unless otherwise stated for a particular event. This maximum applies to the payout to any one customer, in any one day.

My bold. I think you may be right Titanic99. I had a look at the Labrookes website, where it states:

Specials

Specials is our description for bets on, normally, non-sporting events such as politics, current affairs or financial matters.

Bets on "Special" markets are available as singles only, unless otherwise stated on our site.

Specific rules and conditions relating to each individual "Specials" market will be displayed onsite as these markets become available online..

The maximum payout on any bet which includes a selection, or selections, from a "Specials" market is £10,000, unless otherwise stated for a particular event. This maximum applies to the payout to any one customer, in any one day.

Which to me says, there's little point in placing these accumulator bets, as the expected returns on them, even if you actually manage to get the forecasts right, aren't going to be worth the pathetic returns on them.

As I said, there's only one winner in this mug's game.

Have you ever seen a poor bookie? (I reckon I'd see a cocks-egg or hens teeth, or even rocking-horse muck before I saw a poor bookie!)

I have not seen the mans specific list of cities, but if as you say maybe he knew what he was doing. Can you put the list up please?

"........

In his first bet Mr Bryant listed Newcastle Upon Tyne, Durham, Darlington, Bradford, Harrogate, Leeds, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Halifax, Cleveland, York, Derby and Stockport.

In his second he bet on Carlisle, Lancaster, Preston, Bolton, Oldham, Wigan, Manchester, Stockport, Warrington, Crewe and Telford.

........."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241620/Designer-wins-7million-betting-white-Christmas--bookies-REFUSE-pay-out.html

"........

In his first bet Mr Bryant listed Newcastle Upon Tyne, Durham, Darlington, Bradford, Harrogate, Leeds, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Halifax, Cleveland, York, Derby and Stockport.

In his second he bet on Carlisle, Lancaster, Preston, Bolton, Oldham, Wigan, Manchester, Stockport, Warrington, Crewe and Telford.

........."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241620/Designer-wins-7million-betting-white-Christmas--bookies-REFUSE-pay-out.html

Cheers for that. A right royal **** up by the cashier. The fact still remains though, that they ony payout up to £10,000 on bets of this type, so no matter what **** up there was, or who made it, he never ever stood the remotest chance of winning £7m anyway.

Archived