Vatican spreading lies about condoms

To save clicking the link ;), the story starts with...

"The Catholic Church has been accused of telling people in countries with high rates of HIV that condoms do not protect against the deadly virus. The claims are made in a Panorama programme called Sex and the Holy City to be screened on BBC One on Sunday."

:)

Originally posted by Moon Maiden

However - how clued up are developing countries?

Moon

Not very, it would seem. I read that one of the reasons for the AIDS epidemic in Africa is the belief that HIV sufferers will be cured if they rape an infant :confused:

Originally posted by Geoff

:o:( Where exactly did you hear that? A source would be useful.

I did not want to supply a link, as it's such a nasty subject, but here are two of the many I found with a quick google search

Guardian, June 29, 2003

http://www.guardian.co.uk/aids/story/0,7369,987336,00.html

Science in Africa

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2002/april/virgin.htm

Originally posted by Abby

Not very, it would seem. I read that one of the reasons for the AIDS epidemic in Africa is the belief that HIV sufferers will be cured if they rape an infant :confused:

Yeah, I too saw a programme about this. Was pretty distrubing to say the least. Can't remember for the life of me what it was called though?! :confused:

Originally posted by Abby

I did not want to supply a link, as it's such a nasty subject, but here are two of the many I found with a quick google search

Sure I can appreciate that, but it's always a good idea to back up such a shocking statement with a source.

As you said, this is a particulary nasty subject, so lets try and focus on the original topic of condoms and HIV as opposed to being side tracked in to baby rape etc. :|

Originally posted by Geoff

Sure I can appreciate that, but it's always a good idea to back up such a shocking statement with a source.

Yeah, that's why I sometimes seem picky.

Catholics annoy me though, would it be better for young people to catch Aids and get pregnant just because they don't believe in contraception? I suppose they could argue that people shouldn't have sex outside of marriage. However I believe this belief is outdated and in this day and age it is impractical, especially with modern youth culture.

It's acually quite sickening that Catholics would rather people catch Aids in Africa than use contraceptives. Are they trying to encourage the spread of the disease?

Archived