Is anyone familiar with Mansfield? Info needed!!

I have a friend who may be relocating to Mansfield through work and am trying to find out a bit about the area (and school) she could be moving to!

I have a couple of friends who live near mansfield but they are not familiar with the area.

It is called Market Warsop

and the school is a secondary school called Meden school

Anyone with first hand knowledge of the area/school please post up any info you have!!

Like:

is it a rough or good area?

nice place to live?

is meden school good? or is it rough?

and anything else you have!

thanks

This is a profile for the central postcode in NG20 which is NG20 8XR. Neighbourhood profiles vary significantly from postcode to postcode.

Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be home owning families living in terraces. These are known as type 42 in the ACORN classification and 2.94% of the UK's population live in this type.

Neighbourhoods fitting this profile are largely found in former mining, industrial and manufacturing areas of Wales and northern England. Examples include Merthyr Tydfil, Rhonda, Burnley, Barrow in Furness and Halifax.

Young families with two children under 10, living in small terraced housing, characterise this type of postcode. Adults tend to be in the 20-40 age group with fewer older people and retired. There are some single parent households.

This is the ACORN type with the highest incidence of terraced housing. The houses tend to be small, with two or sometimes three bedrooms, and at the lower end of the house price scale. 70% of households are owner occupiers, with most buying on a mortgage. Most of the rest are renting from private landlords, with a smaller proportion renting from the local authority.

Generally, employment is in blue-collar jobs in manufacturing, mining and other manual occupations, with shopworkers also common. There is some unemployment, and long term illness is above the national average. As might be expected, educational qualification levels are generally low.

Car ownership is below the national average, and many people travel to work on foot or cycle.

Incomes are on the low side so there is little scope for investments and savings. Use of credit cards is below average.

Leisure interests include camping, angling, bingo, horseracing and rugby, as well as watching cable TV and going to the pub.

Popular newspapers include the Daily Mirror, Daily Sport and their Sunday equivalents, as well as the Daily Star.

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/neighbours-in-ng20.html

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/schools-in-ng20.html

I was born in Warsop(nobody calls it Market Warsop) and educated at the Meden School. At the time it was a nice little village and the school was great.

I now live in Mansfield, where there are many good areas and wouldn't think of living in Warsop.

My 2 sons have both attended what was Sherwood Hall School, but is now known as Samworth Academy. It is a very good school and both lads have done well.

I have friends that still live in Warsop, most wish they were in Mansfield. It is only about 5 miles from Mansfield, but there is very little there.

thanks for the feedback folks!

So I am taking from this that Warsop is a bit of a run down , poor area, and there is nothing to do there?!

and the school is ok but nothing special? (below average GCSE passes etc)

Any more info welcomed...

Though it doesnt look positive at the present time..!!

Yes it is a former mining village, but ther is no more wrong with this village than any other. The school is also an excellent school with people from out of the area trying to enter.

A brand new school is being built, starting this year and planned to open in 2011

You have to bear in mind that it is a village (or small town) and hence you do not have the same facilities as Sheffield (19 miles) or even Mansfield (5 miles). They are though, in easy reach.

Warsop is a friendly village and there is enough to keep any active person busy. The profile from "upmystreet", i don't really find it a true representation of the area.

There is one main run down area, but even this isn't too bad a place to be.

There is a big building project underway which has seen one bad area totally demolished and a complete new estate in the process of being build. These houses are selling as quick as they can be built.

The area is recovering from the closure of the mine 20years ago, but it as still left a legacy of higher than average unemployment. The closure of the Welbeck Colliery in the next couple of months will have no significant impact on the area as fewer than 200 people work there, with a very small percentage actually living in Warsop, these though, have been relocated.

There are plans to turn the old pit site into an employment zone.

Warsop is really a loverly place to live, being, literally only 5 minutes walk to any number of countryside walks, but only 10 minutes drive to any major activity.

Have a look at the couple of links below.

On the Warsop Web site click on the Forum and ask anything you like, you will get an answer. (Bear in mind it's not as big as Sheffield's though:hihi:)

http://www.warsopweb.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.medenschool.co.uk/index1.cfm

I'm Sheffield born,i live in Sutton in Ashfield and i've lived in Warsop.

It's a one horse town to be honest, people know what you do before you know it and don't take to the ' non-ex miners '.

The only good thing is the anual Warsop carnival, oh and it's very close to Thausby Market.

I was glad to get out of the place.

I'm Sheffield born,i live in Sutton in Ashfield and i've lived in Warsop.

It's a one horse town to be honest, people know what you do before you know it and don't take to the ' non-ex miners '.

The only good thing is the anual Warsop carnival, oh and it's very close to Thausby Market.

Don't understand what you mean about not taking to non ex miner's, the pit shut 20 years ago, that is long ago. When it closed fewer than 800 people worked there, with only about half from Warsop (most or the others from Shirebrook). Warsop has a population of about 14,000, so i think non ex miners are by far the majority.

You have also have busybodies / curtain twitchers everywhere.

I wouldn't move for a gold pig (2 maybe but defo not 1 :hihi: )

Archived