Free laptops and broadband for poor families!

Essential, my eye! When did you last read about someone dying because they had no broadband connection?:loopy:

The essentials in life are stuff like food, clothing and shelter. Laptops and internet connections are luxuries and if anyone wants one they should pay for it out of their own money!

Gordon Bennet indeed !! I find myself agreeing with your point of view.. ;) Must use more nivea for men :D:D:roll:

His nan's generation had just as many people who would be willing to be freeloaders if it were possible. Rose-tinted perchance?

Ah, but was it possible? Did we have a Welfare state that had grown so large it couldn't differentiate between the needy and the greedy?

Did we have a Government wanting to buy votes?

If that is the true aim of the scheme then I'm all for it.

I'll tell you what, let's let the Government roll it out, and see how many of these laptops end up sold on ebay or 'down the local'.

Are the Government stating that the laptops can't be re-sold, if so how will it be policed?

I've never stated that the scheme was about giving a druggie a free computer, I have stated that it's a soundbyte, political vote buyer.

Labour are once again pandering to their new core voters, the feckless and workshy.

I always considered myself to be a Labour supporter, having grown up in a mining family during the Thatcher years. Not any more though.

Vote Labour; the party for the worker workshy.

As already said, it's a scheme that's been on the cards for a long time and has just been through the lengthy piloting process. In a way it's come at a good time as the hardware is now cheap as chips (no pun intended ;)), even given away with phone contracts.

So some may end up being sold? I'm sure one or two mobility aids end up being sold, I know an old chap near us very well who spends his Winter Fuel Allowance on beer and thinks it's the biggest joke. But you can't let things like that prevent you from trying to help.

We've probably got to a point now where an old laptop is worth nothing anyway so not worth selling.

You are forgetting that we teach for the jobs that will be available when these kids leave school and into the future - and yes the majority of people will have to be computer literate to be able to do pretty much anything in the future. I don't deny that some jobs don't need it, but unless you are suggesting that because someone is poor they have to go into a manual job, i can't see your point.

Sorry, with respect, I disagree.

We don't teach with respect to any jobs, we teach so that kids can pass exams and schools can meet government targets; we teach to force kids into higher education, that really should be following a vocational path.

I'm not suggesting that because someone is poor then they should only occupy the (percieved) lower manual roles.

I'm saying that there is no shame in working in manual roles, and the money that Winky is spending on this vote catcher would be better spent in our schools.

As already said, it's a scheme that's been on the cards for a long time and has just been through the lengthy piloting process. In a way it's come at a good time as the hardware is now cheap as chips (no pun intended ;)), even given away with phone contracts.

So some may end up being sold? I'm sure one or two mobility aids end up being sold, I know an old chap near us very well who spends his Winter Fuel Allowance on beer and thinks it's the biggest joke. But you can't let things like that prevent you from trying to help.

We've probably got to a point now where an old laptop is worth nothing anyway so not worth selling.

I will bid ten of your British pounds for your laptop.. ;):hihi::hihi:

Free wifi stations , YES.. Free broadband ? :huh: No and No again.. I pay for my mobile broadband connection and get a dodgy 3G signal, giving every benefit scrote a broadband connection is going to rob my bandwidth and I wont be able to watch rude stuff on you tube.. or access the fray bentos science site... un happy days... :D

Is it true that these computers are going to be sponsored by Brighthouse?

Probably ..... yes!

Hasn't everyone realised yet ...... under Mr. Brown's "wonderful economic stewardship" of this Nation's finances during & since 1997, printing £Notes like there is no tomorrow, we are living in a "Brighthouse" country? :)

(And much good that will do for our future generations left to pick up the tab for it all!) :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous.... if they are giving away free stuff it should be food vochuers with names wrote on them and where you can redeem them for food, as to stop the dirty druggies selling them on for a quick fix. This must be the worst idea I have ever heard of... who votes for these stupid wombats anyway. :huh:. Because I certainly wouldn't.

You are forgetting that we teach for the jobs that will be available when these kids leave school and into the future - and yes the majority of people will have to be computer literate to be able to do pretty much anything in the future. I don't deny that some jobs don't need it, but unless you are suggesting that because someone is poor they have to go into a non-computer related job, i can't see your point.

Whatever you're teaching the kids, auto98uk ...... try upping the levels of reading, writing and arithmetic first, before they are 11 years old then! :cool:

Archived