Free laptops and broadband for poor families!

Just bought my lad a lap top for school £500 ouch, and windows office £75. I've had nowt free ever. Had little work over last 2 mths so it was a big hit, but my kid comes fist.

No holiday for two years, never had a new car,no savings I couldn't care less. my son is my priority.

Just bought my lad a lap top for school £500 ouch, and windows office £75. I've had nowt free ever. Had little work over last 2 mths so it was a big hit, but my kid comes fist.

No holiday for two years, never had a new car,no savings I couldn't care less. my son is my priority.

Well said.

I applaud your priorities.

Ouch, you were robbed!

A laptop for around £300 (or less, I know of pupils using £199 netbooks) would have been good enough, and you should ask school about the "Microsoft Campus and School Work @ Home" scheme.

It allows you any current Microsoft product for just £11.75.

I assume we're going to ignore self employed people who buy them and then write them off against tax or get financial contributions to buy them.

I'm not sure the secondhand laptop I bought with money I had earned myself through my own endeavour and which I use as an essential business tool so I can run my business providing a service to the people of Sheffield, jobs for 5 people and food and shelter for my family is quite the same as laptops just arbitrarily bought with the tax I pay and given away.

I can sort of see where they are coming from - it's much easier to apply for jobs when you have the internet and a computer - it's just a shame we don't have public buildings where people could use communal computers for such things, for free, without having to buy them one each - we could call these buildings libraries, or job centres I suppose?

EDIT - just reading on in the thread - I don't really see the 'education' argument either. Schools have an awful of computers these days, and many allow pupils to borrow them. The school I used to work at used to lease them to the kids at a really cheap rate, including all technical support and licences for school software.

I'm not sure the secondhand laptop I bought with money I had earned myself through my own endeavour and which I use as an essential business tool so I can run my business providing a service to the people of Sheffield, jobs for 5 people and food and shelter for my family is quite the same as laptops just arbitrarily bought with the tax I pay and given away.

It is if you wrote it off against your profits and therefore you never actually paid for it. If you bought one like i did and gave it to your daughter for her educational needs, then the usage etc is comparable. You bought one for YOU to make money, not to further the educational needs of a poor child.

It is if you wrote it off against your profits and therefore you never actually paid for it. If you bought one like i did and gave it to your daughter for her educational needs, then the usage etc is comparable. You bought one for YOU to make money, not to further the educational needs of a poor child.

In what sense did I not pay for it? I am a sole trader - legally me and my business are the same entity. I didn't pay tax on the few hundred quid I paid for the laptop as it is a business expense, but to say I didn't pay for it is simply incorrect.

I would suggest that unless your daughter is using her computer to generate wealth for Sheffield then the use is not comparable, although her software may well be heavily subsidised, whereas mine isn't.

I bought a laptop because I need one for my business, which provides all the material things my child needs - she is too little to use it yet although she tries. What is your point though? That I shouldn't get mine tax free, unlike other business expenses, or that yours should have been tax free because your daughter uses it for school, or giving out laptops is a sensible use of very limited public funds?

In what sense did I not pay for it? I am a sole trader - legally me and my business are the same entity. I didn't pay tax on the few hundred quid I paid for the laptop as it is a business expense, but to say I didn't pay for it is simply incorrect.

I would suggest that unless your daughter is using her computer to generate wealth for Sheffield then the use is not comparable, although her software may well be heavily subsidised, whereas mine isn't.

I bought a laptop because I need one for my business, which provides all the material things my child needs - she is too little to use it yet although she tries. What is your point though? That I shouldn't get mine tax free, unlike other business expenses, or that yours should have been tax free because your daughter uses it for school, or giving out laptops is a sensible use of very limited public funds?

Still not comparable - the laptops are for kids in care or who can't afford them. Self employed get tax breaks and other fiddles when completing their tax returns, i know enough self employed and tax employees to know this as a fact.

Yet i'm expected to pay my tax to allow you to get a tax break on a laptop for your business, and on your petrol etc etc.

Most self employed people who purchase business equipment do so from profits - not from their own salary, although you may be different. Profits they worked for admittedly - but not from their own pockets which is why you got a tax benefit.

I don't think you really understand what you're talking about willman.

If I buy a laptop for my business then it's taken out of the profit of the business before tax is calculated. That's not a tax break, it's buying equipment. It would be the same if I bought stationary or an office building, a business expense is taken from the gross income of the business.

HMRC are quite keen on talking to anyone who uses a tax 'fiddle', they like to send you the correct bill plus a large fine. So I doubt that most small business owners employ any tax fiddles.

I can sort of see where they are coming from - it's much easier to apply for jobs when you have the internet and a computer - it's just a shame we don't have public buildings where people could use communal computers for such things, for free, without having to buy them one each - we could call these buildings libraries, or job centres I suppose?

EDIT - just reading on in the thread - I don't really see the 'education' argument either. Schools have an awful of computers these days, and many allow pupils to borrow them. The school I used to work at used to lease them to the kids at a really cheap rate, including all technical support and licences for school software.

You cannot use a computer in a jobcentre. You can access the JC vacancies but thats all.

You can use your computer in your local library for up to an hour a day (not an awful lot). However I know my local library at Hillsborough which covers a huge amount of S6 has 1 computer in the childrens library.

Neither of the schools my children attend offer computers for loan - I haven't come accross this before. It is an excellent idea but obviously not widely available. The senior school my son attends has a homework club where he can use the internet. It is good if he needs to do a small piece of work but not so good if he needs to spend a lot of time researching things.

My younger kids also love playing (educational) games & going on the school website which is a fun way of improving their IT skills & helping wth maths & english at the same time.

I really don't see why people have such an issue with a programmes aimed at giving people the means to help themselves out of the poverty trap?

Archived