Free laptops and broadband for poor families!

I'm sure most people have an old computer knocking about at home anyway. You don't need the latest model to learn basic IT skills.

Exactly. We're running XP Pro on Celeron 2Ghz machines with just 512Mb of RAM and will have to do so for at least another year or two because of huge funding cuts across all councils.

Not to mention that if we replace our machines, we generally offer old ones to pupils for a nominal fee.

It would be cheaper and far more effective to refurbish existing IT suites in schools (education pricing can get us a decent branded machine and TFT monitor for around £300) and give away our old stuff.

Exactly. We're running XP Pro on Celeron 2Ghz machines with just 512Mb of RAM and will have to do so for at least another year or two because of huge funding cuts across all councils.

Not to mention that if we replace our machines, we generally offer old ones to pupils for a nominal fee.

It would be cheaper and far more effective to refurbish existing IT suites in schools (education pricing can get us a decent branded machine and TFT monitor for around £300) and give away our old stuff.

Ah, but it wouldn't buy the votes of the workshy and feckless would it?

It's rare I agree with GordonBennet, but on this occasion.... :o

This project to me seems like another badly thought out vote buyer. Schools have IT equipment do they not? Don't kids get lessons in basic IT?

There have been a number of valid reasons stated in this thread why I think this is a bad idea....

- numbers that get resold, families will be claiming the grants to resell machine or simply as an upgrade to an old one

- It equipment 'given' away has no value to the receiver, therefore perhaps less likely to be cared for

- better to ensure schools have sufficient resources/equipment to allow kids to use computers at school - where perhaps a higher proportion of the machines time is used learning to use word processor than using iPlayer

Here's the rub for me....

My home machine is woefully out of date. Would I like to upgrade it? Of course, do I need to upgrade it? No. It is probably 7 or 8 years old and quite capable of doing everything a child might need to learn about. I have fully functional office suite, music player, internet access etc etc.

So... given kids don't need the latest, most powerful hardware why don't we pump the money into the work currently done by charities refurbishing old machines and giving those out? That is what leads me to the conclusion it is nothing but a vote buyer.

A lot of machines many of the people reading this have thrown out were probably more powerful than my current machine that is plenty sufficient to learn basic IT literacy.

Spending huge amounts of my cash (taxes) on giving away machines that aren't IMO required annoys. Yes, maybe a hint of jealousy in there that I can't afford a newer machine but wont be eligible for a handout. I'm not too proud to admit I have emotions too ;)

Firstly, where does it state that they are going to be given the latest and best hardware? It doesn't.
It does state that the equipment will be new though doesn't it? It does state that broken or stolen kit will be replaced.

Second, there are people who can't even afford your low spec machine.

There are also people who work and can't afford to smoke, drink, have a large TV / Pay TV subscription. Why should my taxes (potentially) be used to allow someone these luxuries when THEY should be prioritising THEIR children. Perhaps they could save some of the child benefit they get and actually spend it on their child.

Thirdly, as said many many times on this thread, this project is nearly 11 years old. It has not just been started to get votes.
No? The timing seems to be quite good for gaining votes though

Fourthly, are you suggesting that all kids should not get them because some kids may not look after it? If so, might i suggest that you not be allowed to live in a house, because other people living in houses might not treat their houses well.

Difference is I've bought my own house (and computers), but otherwise I like your analogy. I mean council house tenants will easily be able to sell off their rented property down the pub or on ebay won't they? :rolleyes:

Fifthly, it seems that you oppose kids being able to get out of poverty, which a home pc might be able to help with.

No one wants to stop kids getting out of poverty, but that's not really the driving force of the initiative is it? The resources would be better spent updating classroom facilities and cascading old equipment out to needy cases. Don't you agree?

Firstly, where does it state that they are going to be given the latest and best hardware? It doesn't.

Second, there are people who can't even afford your low spec machine.

My machine is worth *nothing* if I were to try and sell it. I might get something for the monitor I guess. It is below spec of machines that people bin I suspect.

Thirdly, as said many many times on this thread, this project is nearly 11 years old. It has not just been started to get votes.

Has it actually been ongoing that long or shelved and brought back in time for an election. If it has been running 11 years, how can it take that long to get something like this going?

Fourthly, are you suggesting that all kids should not get them because some kids may not look after it? If so, might i suggest that you not be allowed to live in a house, because other people living in houses might not treat their houses well.

Housing is slightly higher on the importance scale than home internet access. There are alternatives to having internet/PC access at home, short of workhouses (:gag:) not much alternative to having a roof of your own, even if rented. A council house (AFAIK) isn't given away to those that might not be able to afford them otherwise. Low rent perhaps.

Fifthly, it seems that you oppose kids being able to get out of poverty, which a home pc might be able to help with.

Utter garbage.

At no point have I said I want kids kept in poverty. I simply suggested alternative ways of getting kids able to use computers that don't involve giving away new ones.

Obviously those of you who seem to think the parents will sell it have no idea about how these schemes work.

I've worked in this field for many years and the computer remains the property of the provider. If the machine is lost, stolen, broken or damaged in any way, the loaner is completely liable.

Yes, the machines do get seriously misused and damaged. But there is no reason or evidence to prove that families will sell them. Out of the several hundred that have been given out in my part of Cheshire, we've not heard of one which has been sold.

So maybe you should quit your stereotyping?

Obviously those of you who seem to think the parents will sell it have no idea about how these schemes work.

I've worked in this field for many years and the computer remains the property of the provider. If the machine is lost, stolen, broken or damaged in any way, the loaner is completely liable.

Yes, the machines do get seriously misused and damaged. But there is no reason or evidence to prove that families will sell them. Out of the several hundred that have been given out in my part of Cheshire, we've not heard of one which has been sold.

So maybe you should quit your stereotyping?

You've not heard of one being sold. Good. Doesn't mean they aren't. Why would anyone tell you if that were their intent?

As for the stereotyping, far from it. My main beef with this is the amount of money being spent when it needn't be.

alchresearch - your opinion about how the scheme works seems to conflict with the information provided on the government website about 'stolen' machines being replaced.

He's probably got his nose in the trough and like all Turkeys doesn't like talk of voting for Christmas! (I love a good mixed metaphor...:D)

Archived