Free laptops and broadband for poor families!

Well yes. Surely if a child is poor, the best thing to do is punish them by making sure they are kept behind the wealthier kids who are already utilising digital technology to develop essential IT literacy skills for their own future.

If the poorer families that can afford large screen TV's and a monthly Sky subscription were forced to give this up and purchase a laptop and pay for a broadband subscription, wouldn't that be fairer all round.

Well yes. Surely if a child is poor, the best thing to do is punish them by making sure they are kept behind the wealthier kids who are already utilising digital technology to develop essential IT literacy skills for their own future.

IT skills can be developed on free courses at local colleges...properly structured learning...

Essential, my eye! When did you last read about someone dying because they had no broadband connection?:loopy:

The essentials in life are stuff like food, clothing and shelter. Laptops and internet connections are luxuries and if anyone wants one they should pay for it out of their own money!

Try thinking a little more holistically and you'll see that, actually, digital communication is becoming more and more intrinsic to the workplace. There is a basic level of IT literacy that kids are simply not getting from their school in some cases and this needs to be addressed. I don't suppose you've considered how things will be in 10, 20 years time but at the rate things are moving, IT illiteracy will not exactly help a child equip themselves for the next generation of jobs.

Unfortunately, digital technology is not exactly cheap as chips, so there is the genuine problem of kids getting left behind simply because mummy and daddy can't buy them a new laptop for Christmas.

Try thinking a little more holistically and you'll see that, actually, digital communication is becoming more and more intrinsic to the workplace. There is a basic level of IT literacy that kids are simply not getting from their school in some cases and this needs to be addressed. I don't suppose you've considered how things will be in 10, 20 years time but at the rate things are moving, IT illiteracy will not exactly help a child equip themselves for the next generation of jobs.

Unfortunately, digital technology is not exactly cheap as chips, so there is the genuine problem of kids getting left behind simply because mummy and daddy can't buy them a new laptop for Christmas.

Like I said earlier on there are free courses at local colleges...

If the poorer families that can afford large screen TV's and a monthly Sky subscription were forced to give this up and purchase a laptop and pay for a broadband subscription, wouldn't that be fairer all round.

Well yes, but I'd like to see you enforce that.

IT skills can be developed on free courses at local colleges...properly structured learning...

Not usually for 11 year olds.

Some schools posted homework for pupils during snow closures - the por kids wouldn't have been able to find this out.

Archived