Free laptops and broadband for poor families!

You're missing the point. No one's saying poorer families shouldn't be allowed to have online access, we're angry because working people have to pay for their own laptops and broadband and now we're being forced to pay for unemployed people to have the same for free!

If poorer families want laptops and broadband they should get off their backsides, find a job and pay for it out of their own pockets!

Interesting point. I'd argue however that it isn't the kids fault that there parents are poor. In the longer term giving kids laptops (for work) will make them more computer literate and hence more employable. In the even longer term it will reduce the chance that these kids will claim benefits, that are ultimetely funded by the tax payer. In the long term it makes sense.

You're missing the point. No one's saying poorer families shouldn't be allowed to have online access, we're angry because working people have to pay for their own laptops and broadband and now we're being forced to pay for unemployed people to have the same for free!

If poorer families want laptops and broadband they should get off their backsides, find a job and pay for it out of their own pockets!

But my point is all those working people who are online in works time are getting a freebie.

Regardless of whether they pay for broadband at home - you have a choice to buy or not, poorer people don't.

You also keep blurring the guidelines - it's not lazy people or just unemployed people. Its for the poorest CHILDREN some of whom don't have family support. But don't let facts spoil your whinging.

But my point is all those working people who are online in works time are getting a freebie.

Regardless of whether they pay for broadband at home - you have a choice to buy or not, poorer people don't.

You also keep blurring the guidelines - it's not lazy people or just unemployed people. Its for the poorest CHILDREN some of whom don't have family support. But don't let facts spoil your whinging.

You reckon the kids will get a look in...?

Don't the kids use them at school?

I assume they have ICT lessons, as I did, but how many hours per week? The article also stated that "...research involving 200 schools and colleges suggested 80% were seeing cuts to their IT budgets."

There are undoubted benefits of having access at home. I agree with Balls. It's not a luxury any more, it's as essential as other educational tools.

I assume they have ICT lessons, as I did, but how many hours per week? The article also stated that "...research involving 200 schools and colleges suggested 80% were seeing cuts to their IT budgets."

There are undoubted benefits of having access at home. I agree with Balls. It's not a luxury any more, it's as essential as other educational tools.

Amazing..cuts to school IT budgets yet at the same time they can give away laptops and broadband...?

Ok... so if you got sacked/ made redundant ect... and you had to go on jsa or another form of benefit you wouldn't be glad of free internet and a free computer/laptop? you wouldn't be complaining then would you? no. I think theres way to many 2 faced people out there. Most people on benefits at the moment have had to due to been made redundant, layed of, ect... My partner is one of those. I like it that the fact they can assume things without getting some facts first... people are to easy to judge and think that everyone on benefits are people who DON'T want to work infact 80% of people on benefits are actively seeking work everyday, taking anything whats available! Its not that easy at the moment as most will know. so spare a thought as you never know you may find your self on benefits one day...

Archived