Free laptops and broadband for poor families!

But its only free for a year.

Perhaps all employers should introduce complete bans on any unauthorised internet access to the shirkers sorry workers.

Children who its aimed for betwen 7 and 11 can't go to college. IT classes are timetabled so are restrictive. All of which you know but choose to ignore.

Most responsible employers do limit internet access to work-related sites. Know any office where you have unlimited access to facebook, youtube, etc? I don't.

Perhaps you could also tell me which libaries ban children aged 7 to 11? My loca library offers free after-school internet sessions to children between these ages at least 2 nights a week.

Ok... so if you got sacked/ made redundant ect... and you had to go on jsa or another form of benefit you wouldn't be glad of free internet and a free computer/laptop? you wouldn't be complaining then would you? no. I think theres way to many 2 faced people out there. Most people on benefits at the moment have had to due to been made redundant, layed of, ect... My partner is one of those. I like it that the fact they can assume things without getting some facts first... people are to easy to judge and think that everyone on benefits are people who DON'T want to work infact 80% of people on benefits are actively seeking work everyday, taking anything whats available! Its not that easy at the moment as most will know. so spare a thought as you never know you may find your self on benefits one day...

I wouldn't need a laptop as a handout, as I've already got several in the house through my own hard work.

How do you know that 'most' people on benefits are claiming due to the loss of their jobs ? Please provide me with statistics to back up the statement or retract it.

Sorry to hear about your partner, I hope they get back into work soon.

Talking of getting some facts straight, where did your 80% come from. Link please or retract.

I've been made redundant twice in the past, and I've also been TUPE'd once; so I know what it feels like to not have a job. I also know what it feels like to not have a job and to have a mortgage to pay.

Internet not an essential? Christ, you do not want to see me after five minutes of my connection going down then!!!

It is essential. It's meant I could feed the family during the snow, as I can order online and have the food brought to the door. I pay bills, buy services and goods like books, DVDs etc - all cheaper online. I access vital health information, got a Tamiflu prescription that way without troubling my GP. I read the news, broadsheets for free and with no environmental cost! I learn things, at my own pace and direction. I could go on...

Fact is, the world is changing. This is a digital world and a digital economy, and we cannot afford to let people fall behind, whether it's through choice or lack of readies. There's a hardcore of people who cannot/will not get online and this removes one of their excuses. Imagine all the things which could be achieved if an internet connection was considered a utility like gas or electricity.

Internet not an essential? Christ, you do not want to see me after five minutes of my connection going down then!!!

It is essential. It's meant I could feed the family during the snow, as I can order online and have the food brought to the door. I pay bills, buy services and goods like books, DVDs etc - all cheaper online. I access vital health information, got a Tamiflu prescription that way without troubling my GP. I read the news, broadsheets for free and with no environmental cost! I learn things, at my own pace and direction. I could go on...

Fact is, the world is changing. This is a digital world and a digital economy, and we cannot afford to let people fall behind, whether it's through choice or lack of readies. There's a hardcore of people who cannot/will not get online and this removes one of their excuses. Imagine all the things which could be achieved if an internet connection was considered a utility like gas or electricity.

People still have to pay for gas and leccy......and not everywhere has them piped in...

I think this is a brilliany idea & I am glad a few people can see the long term benefits. This isn't just for unemployed people by the way it is for low earners too. WHy should children miss out because there parents have fallen on hard times. What is wrong with giving people a chance to escape the poverty trap.

In addition to putting children on a level playing field with their peers who have access to the internet there are a whole host of other uses for the whoel family. I can see the amount of time my own childen use it & also the huge benefits it brings when researching shool projects (at both junior/ senior school level). I hate the stereotypical views of people who come into this bracket. I am sure no one would delibarately put themselves in this position just to get a free computer & then stay there just to get free broadband.

The government has given away free computer before. The last scheme I knew of was one's that had been reconditioned by people doing IT courses. This was being done anyway so why not put them to good use when they are done?

Yes there will be abuses of this but isn't every system abused? Like a pp poster said what about the people who use the internet/ phone at work?

Also my local childrens library (Hillsborough) has 1 ancient computer for virtually the whole of S6. Children would not be able to access free college courses which have also been mentioned as they are aimed at the over 16's.

If it's possible for a human being to survive without an internet connection then it's not really essential is it? Please check in your dictionary what "essential" means. :roll:

As I said earlier no-one has ever died because they didn't have internet access. It might make some things easier for lazy people (eg shopping) but there's nothing essential to your survival that you must do online that you can't do in the real world.

I think this is a brilliany idea & I am glad a few people can see the long term benefits. This isn't just for unemployed people by the way it is for low earners too. WHy should children miss out because there parents have fallen on hard times. What is wrong with giving people a chance to escape the poverty trap.

In addition to putting children on a level playing field with their peers who have access to the internet there are a whole host of other uses for the whoel family. I can see the amount of time my own childen use it & also the huge benefits it brings when researching shool projects (at both junior/ senior school level). I hate the stereotypical views of people who come into this bracket. I am sure no one would delibarately put themselves in this position just to get a free computer & then stay there just to get free broadband.

The government has given away free computer before. The last scheme I knew of was one's that had been reconditioned by people doing IT courses. This was being done anyway so why not put them to good use when they are done?

Yes there will be abuses of this but isn't every system abused? Like a pp poster said what about the people who use the internet/ phone at work?

Also my local childrens library (Hillsborough) has 1 ancient computer for virtually the whole of S6. Children would not be able to access free college courses which have also been mentioned as they are aimed at the over 16's.

They get lessons at school.....

Great post, Mathom. Someone who sees the big picture. There is clearly risk of a large gap growing between those who have access at home and those who do not. The internet is the very tool we need to make learning truly universal and mobile, but its full potential can only be realised if ALL have access.

Archived