Patent for foundry nozzles

My grandad, George Harry Giles (1893-1962) along with Percy William Fawcett had a patent which he took out in 1915 for 'Improvements in Nozzles and Nozzle Boxes for Foundry Ladles or the like and in Appliances and Attachments connected therewith'

He was wroking at Thomas Firth and sons at the time ( I think). Does anyone know about this? I have seen the patent and have seen the plans on esp@cenet. Does anyone know about Fawcett and who he was?

The story was always that he sold the patent for a song or he would have been a rich man - ???

Hopefully,

Karen:)

My grandad, George Harry Giles (1893-1962) along with Percy William Fawcett had a patent which he took out in 1915 for 'Improvements in Nozzles and Nozzle Boxes for Foundry Ladles or the like and in Appliances and Attachments connected therewith'

He was wroking at Thomas Firth and sons at the time ( I think). Does anyone know about this? I have seen the patent and have seen the plans on esp@cenet. Does anyone know about Fawcett and who he was?

The story was always that he sold the patent for a song or he would have been a rich man - ???

Hopefully,

Kenneth Barraclough would have been able to help you no doubt but he has gone to the great melting shop in the sky! He was an authority on Firth Brown Ltd and steel industry in general. Not much help I'm afraid!

Hopefully,

You could try Sheffield Libraries, they have a collection of patents

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/find/all/referenceinformation/patents

I worked as a Ladleman from 1976 to 1986. The only nozzles I knew of were the staight nozzle and the reverse tape. Diffeerence being,you could changa the reverse taperfromt the underside of the ladle ,whereas the straight nozzle had to be knocked out from the inside. Marshalls Refractories supplied ours ( I think ) Thinking about it there were two makes of nozzle. One was used for Manganese steel and the other made for carbon steelsget one wrong and you could end up getting "snotty" steel

Archived