Totley Tunnel workers

toolski

I believe my ancestor Alfred William Hill (b1866 Sevenoaks, Kent) worked as a miner on the Totley Tunnel but I am struggling to find evidence to prove this. I know that his daughter's birth was registered at Totley in 1892. I cannot find Alfred on the 1891 census although I know his wife Alice was living in Wales with their 2 young daughters. There is an entry for an Alfred Hill born 1867 but in Nottinghamshire not Kent on the 1891 census for Totley. This could be him, the place of birth could be incorrect. Does anyone know if any archives exist to show the names of the workers on the Totley Tunnel. I understand that Thomas Oliver of Horsham, West Sussex was in charge of the construction. Thanks.

I believe my ancestor Alfred William Hill (b1866 Sevenoaks, Kent) worked as a miner on the Totley Tunnel but I am struggling to find evidence to prove this. I know that his daughter's birth was registered at Totley in 1892. I cannot find Alfred on the 1891 census although I know his wife Alice was living in Wales with their 2 young daughters. There is an entry for an Alfred Hill born 1867 but in Nottinghamshire not Kent on the 1891 census for Totley. This could be him, the place of birth could be incorrect. Does anyone know if any archives exist to show the names of the workers on the Totley Tunnel. I understand that Thomas Oliver of Horsham, West Sussex was in charge of the construction. Thanks.

The fountain of all knowledge on everything Totley is a local author called Brian Edwards.

I suggest that you Google 'Brian Edwards Totley Author', and see what you can find, his email address would be handy, good luck. :thumbsup:

This has got nothing at all to do with your search, just that your post has strange echoes of when I left Sheffield back in the early 60's. I went to Sevenoaks to work in the tunnel there, repairing the brickwork.

Archived