English steel coporation-forgemasters

mally75

Hi mally I have added a few pics on your site

many thanks

i am also led to believe that a large number of concrete beams (over 100ft long)came up to sheffield by rail from stamford(tallington)for the m1 they were then transported by road to site

I am sure that is correct but it was either before I started or when I was away as on the big outfits you could be away several weeks I did go with my dad a couple of times with beams for the A1 at Doncaster but they were loaded so your theory seems to fit in with what I can recall.I did deliver concrete beams to the M56 and seem to recall they were from Rueabon but that was around 67-8. There was one job I can remember and it was some rings out of ESC to English Electric Netherton Liverpool they were between 21ft and 24ft in diameter and weighed between 110 tons and 140 tons the job was done by PGO712E and TM870 a flat top Crane trailer ,They were loaded on timbers so as the running height was around 5ft so as they could pass over car roofs these were loaded Friday afternoon and on Saturday we would use the M1 which was not open but under construction from Meadowhall to Durker the A636 and go up there to the A629 and down into Huddersfield which was it for the day around lunchtime and on Sunday from Huddersfield to Netherton via the A62 and A580 in a couple of place's it was so tight you had to spring the street lamps as the gap was the same as the load there was around 24 or so of these over around 2 years and they were for a cement kiln some where around Gravesend Kent.

Hi mally I have added a few pics on your site

many thanks for pics i have added you to my other sites aswell im sure you will enjoy looking through pics some of my pics were given to me by x-pickfords driver i need to sort them out & put them on

I am sure that is correct but it was either before I started or when I was away as on the big outfits you could be away several weeks I did go with my dad a couple of times with beams for the A1 at Doncaster but they were loaded so your theory seems to fit in with what I can recall.I did deliver concrete beams to the M56 and seem to recall they were from Rueabon but that was around 67-8. There was one job I can remember and it was some rings out of ESC to English Electric Netherton Liverpool they were between 21ft and 24ft in diameter and weighed between 110 tons and 140 tons the job was done by PGO712E and TM870 a flat top Crane trailer ,They were loaded on timbers so as the running height was around 5ft so as they could pass over car roofs these were loaded Friday afternoon and on Saturday we would use the M1 which was not open but under construction from Meadowhall to Durker the A636 and go up there to the A629 and down into Huddersfield which was it for the day around lunchtime and on Sunday from Huddersfield to Netherton via the A62 and A580 in a couple of place's it was so tight you had to spring the street lamps as the gap was the same as the load there was around 24 or so of these over around 2 years and they were for a cement kiln some where around Gravesend Kent.

reg no PGO712E CONTRACTOR i have a photo taken at killingholme with a waste heat boiler sometime in the 70s

part of sheffields history & there is no photos not even of the concrete beams used to build the m1 or the steelworks thanks anyway phantom for the photos you add the sheffield one will have to wait im back in forgemasters on tues 19th will ask around in there

Archived