Lions Lair - The Little Gem of Sheffield

johndixon

Sanctuary, Quarter, Lounge, Players, Static, Lions, Speedqueen.

Sanctuary closed, Quarter Closed, No residency at Speedqueen as it stopped running, Players and Static for a week.

Offered more money when Sanctuary opened and went running there, basically wherever is paying your wages is flavour of the month!

Sorry but constant self promotion of what clearly isn't the greatest thing to hit Sheffield is getting a bit tiring, even Robofunk were DJ's hired by Lions Lair when you were still at Sanctuary. Edwin, Ty and Rich Williams were all playing there way before Robofunk started!

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndixon

I'll be playing at SIN which is Sanctuary's hottest NEW Thursday night.

Come join me as I mix up the very best of funky sexy house & electro from 9pm - 1am.

If you haven't already been to Sanctuary then come down this week and check it out. Its a really cracking venue which is becoming increasingly popular every week.

Hope to see you there folks!!!

John x

Quote:

Hey folks

I've just added the pic's to my website from the following events:

♥ Rah Rah Rah After Party 9th January @ Sanctuary

http://www.djjohndixon.com/photos.php?id=62

♥ After Party 16th January @ Sanctuary

http://www.djjohndixon.com/photos.php?id=63

Sorry its taken so long to put them on...I've been a very busy bee + I've been really ill as of late, which doesn't help lol.

Make sure you have a good browse through cus you may well have been snapped!!!

Much Love!!!

John x

Quote:

A BIG THANK YOU to all of you who came to party @ Dirty Funk on Halloween...what a fantastic night!!!

Check out the photos on my website http://www.djjohndixon.com cus you may well have been snapped!!!

Much Love

John Dixon

Quote:

If your looking for a place to spend your Sunday evenings then come down to Lounge on Glossop Road (Top of West Street).

Its simple...

When you buy a drink at the bar, you get a free shot, its also £2 for vodka red bulls too.

Expect to hear the very best of funky sexy house music mixed by myself (JOHN DIXON) from 8pm - 12am...make sure you bring you dancing shoes if you feel like a boogie

Hope to see you there folks!!!

John Dixon x

Quote:

Originally Posted by carus9000

THE QUARTER BAR REOPENS ITS DOORS ON FRIDAY 19TH SEPT

The Quarter Bar having been taken over by new management is set to be one of Sheffields top bars and restaurants and venue for the best house, garage, r&b and electro sensual mix.

The Quarter Bar is located on North Church Street. Behind The Cathedral just off Campo Lane.

Having 2 of sheffields top up and coming dj"s

JOHN DIXON ( Hed Kandi and Speed Queen)

Resident House DJ Playing Friday and Saturday

from 8pm - 2am

http://www.djjohndixon.com

MARK ANTONY( Sheffield Live Primetime Radio 93.2fm )

Resident House DJ playing every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday

from 8pm - 2am!!!

WOW...You sure have done your research mate, I'm well impressed!!! ;)

On the clubbing scene...I think that Lions is a top venue for dance music (electro, electro house and tech house). The after parties are always a hit and since I have taken Robofunk over to Lions Lair, it has done nothing but wonders for the night. *Every 2nd Saturday of the month*

Fair enough if your not into that type of music cus I know that not everyone is, but for this sort of side of the clubbing scene, Lions is a top venue, ticking all the right boxes...in my opinion!!! ;)

Thank you freefall and buttercup for you’re kind words, I’ll give you that bribe money next time I see you!

Jamesogt, you were all for the Lair when you owned the lease back in May 08, if you really want me to bring up why you were forced to leave by the brewery I will... in fact I won't because I’m not like that. I really think you should get over it, it's getting tiring now.

Affinity and Dempsey’s cater for the chart / pop music, so we go different and play electro / tech & house on the weekends. During the week we play chart, as the atmosphere is more chilled out. Why would you want to hear the same music everywhere you go?!

Yes we're quiet in the week, a lot of bars are, but just last night we had maybe 20 in, and Yates had 4 in! I know as I went to Spar to get some cigs! Fridays and Saturdays are of course the money earner nights, we're usually busy between 9pm and 11pm, then again between 3am and 6am.

The place is tired, and yes in an ideal world I’d like to spend £60k on a refurb, but with the impending purchase order for demolition from the council due to come into force in 2012, it would be a reckless waste of my money! Anyone wanting to donate free money though, please apply here! So we run the place to what I feel is its potential. I guess its a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it. We are making a decent amount of money so some people must like it!

Regarding John, yes he has worked at a few bars doing DJing and promoting - he hasn't signed a contract to anyone so he doesn't have to stay at one place! If someone offered me twice the money for doing the same thing i would jump ship too - its called business!! But we have John back, and his Robofunk nights are consistently busy, he's a great guy and does a lot of promo work for no money, just because we're mates and he loves the place as much as i do.

Anyway, this thread has made for an amusing read if nothing else! I shall point out now that I’m not going to get dragged into a slagging match with anyone who is a marmite / Lair hater, you’re all entitled to your opinion, so knock yourself out with the insults!

Take care all

Graham

Criticism is fine if it's constructive, but it's really sad to see ex-managers stick the boot in for no apparent reason.

I don't know John Dixon and I'm not at all interested in his events, but at least he's getting behind something he obviously has a little passion for. Maybe if a few other promoters and punters did the same, the nightlife in Sheffield would be just that little bit better.

Archived