Lions Lair - The Little Gem of Sheffield

johndixon

IMO, I Like the Lair, as a straight girl with LOADS of gay friends i usually get taken to Lions, or me and the Fella go if were still wanting to stay out after Plug/Embrace/Yates or wherever. I do enjoy the music cause thats the sorta music i listen too on a night out, esp if ive been too places that play chart, rnb, dance etc. But i can also see why people dont like it.

The last time i came in you were raising money for Help for Heroes, which i thought was ace.

My only piece of criticism is that the toilets esp the womens need updating, basically i lick of paint and new toliet seats, just cause i would rather hold it in than use them toilets, i know the place has the demolition order for 2012 but i think spending maybe £500 on the toilets wouldn't break the bank!

No we don't... When i first got involved with Lions back in August 2007, there were the pumps there for black sheep and tetleys, but seeing as our target market was the student 18-25yr old bracket, we never bought any kegs of these in and concentrated on the high volume sales of carling / becks / stella / boddingtons / guinness / cider etc... which has done us proud. We very rarely get asked for real ale, I don't know many of our target audience that drinks it. Becks is our biggest seller on draught.

So the real ale pumps got taken out and reside in my garage looking pretty! I actually use the tetleys one to pump oil out of a barrel... sacrilegious I know!

Did deano1889 bit take John Dixons residency when he left? If I remember at the time the management of Lions as a whole was annoyed when he left and I heard several conversations that are not quite supporting the line of 'its business' etc ! More like Judas!

As for the running of the Sheffield gay scene, fuel tried to come and make a quick buck and failed, Affinity was poorly managed, Sanctuary poorly managed, Lions Lair has turned straight , the only real businessmen are Xes and Dempseys they have kept their businesses going the longest and it is their main income source.

No we don't... When i first got involved with Lions back in August 2007, there were the pumps there for black sheep and tetleys, but seeing as our target market was the student 18-25yr old bracket, we never bought any kegs of these in and concentrated on the high volume sales of carling / becks / stella / boddingtons / guinness / cider etc... which has done us proud. We very rarely get asked for real ale, I don't know many of our target audience that drinks it. Becks is our biggest seller on draught.

So the real ale pumps got taken out and reside in my garage looking pretty! I actually use the tetleys one to pump oil out of a barrel... sacrilegious I know!

I wasnt being entirely serious in asking, to be honest.

Its just the usual question trotted out on this forum.

You all seem to have got a little over excited! There was nothing about Lions in my statement, it was merely about Johns promotion of somewhere that a year ago he left, and now promotes a night with 4 DJ's that were already there!

What people seem to have forgotten that had myself and a friend not opened it a year ago in March last year it would still be closed, so as much as you want to put blame or talk about bitterness etc without me none of it would be there now! Or would any of the great nights we had there ever have happened. Along with the bar at Gay Pride that helped generate £1600 ish to go back in to the kitty for this years event, did anyone else donate that much money or effort?

I know I have nothing to do with it now, or visit, but lets face it the pub trade is on its arse everywhere and neither there or the Devonshire were going to make me rich, so now I work for someone else, I dont though think that should stop me from having an opinion.

Archived