The Great Britain Hotel ..John St

Did any of you ever visit the Great Britain pub on John Street where the bar was the landlords living room . Behind the bar was a setee and chairs fireplace ..slot kitchen .. is where they lived ! and served beer . It got the nick name of the Ship! ...since domolished i think it was two terraced houses knocked together.

Did any of you ever visit the Great Britain pub on John Street where the bar was the landlords living room . Behind the bar was a setee and chairs fireplace ..slot kitchen .. is where they lived ! and served beer . It got the nick name of the Ship! ...since domolished i think it was two terraced houses knocked together.

I have a vague memory of this pub although i could never remember the name. Was it near the london rd end and demolished around the mid 1970s?

I recall going inside the pub as it was lying open shortly before being knocked down. It was very small inside, the bar seemed to take most of the room up.

I think there was a small car dealers pitch just a few doors up nearer london rd.

I have a vague memory of this pub although i could never remember the name. Was it near the london rd end and demolished around the mid 1970s?

I recall going inside the pub as it was lying open shortly before being knocked down. It was very small inside, the bar seemed to take most of the room up.

I think there was a small car dealers pitch just a few doors up nearer london rd.

IIRC, it was just behind the Vets (Mc Taggarts, as was) where the new housing is, now (I say "new"- it's 30/35 years old, actually) before you reach the corner where CCC camping shop's car park is now.

IIRC, it was just behind the Vets (Mc Taggarts, as was) where the new housing is, now (I say "new"- it's 30/35 years old, actually) before you reach the corner where CCC camping shop's car park is now.

Thats right PT, the small car lot i mentioned was very close to the vets. The pub was nearer CCC.

I remember it well the landlady was called mary roberts and her son was john

does anyone remember the teapot cafe which was where the ccc car park is now?

My memory of the cafe is vague. I do remember CCC was on Bramhall lane until the mid 1970s when it was gutted by fire and had to be re-located to Hill st.

i remember all those places you have mentioned, The Great Britain was only a beer house, you couldn't buy any spirits if my memory serves me correctly, a friend of mine used to live in one of the houses that backed onto the rear of The Tea Pot cafe, (Magda Rupik) & i used to work at Brown Brothers (motor factors) before they re-located to Fitzwalter Rd. and the premises were sold or leased to C.C.C.

• 4 years later...

Surprisestorm asked if anyone remembered The Great Britain Hotel in John Street. This was started by my grandparents before the war and I grew up in it. They were called Mary and James Benton. Although the back of the bar was furnished as a room they had a lounge and kitchen for themselves upstairs, plus bathroom and three bedrooms. They moved from Sheffield to Laneham near Retford in the 1950,s to a large house facing the RiverbTrent. James Benton was decorated by the French and awarded the Croix de Guerre for extreme bravery on the Marne in 1918 he was wounded and befriended by a French family during which time he became fluent in the French language. Mary Benton also had a Gown Shop on the London Road. She drove an ambulance in the 2nd World War during the blitz of a Sheffield.

They were wonderful grandparents.

Surprisestorm asked if anyone remembered The Great Britain Hotel in John Street. This was started by my grandparents before the war and I grew up in it. They were called Mary and James Benton. Although the back of the bar was furnished as a room they had a lounge and kitchen for themselves upstairs, plus bathroom and three bedrooms. They moved from Sheffield to Laneham near Retford in the 1950,s to a large house facing the RiverbTrent. James Benton was decorated by the French and awarded the Croix de Guerre for extreme bravery on the Marne in 1918 he was wounded and befriended by a French family during which time he became fluent in the French language. Mary Benton also had a Gown Shop on the London Road. She drove an ambulance in the 2nd World War during the blitz of a Sheffield.

They were wonderful grandparents.

Wow the Croix de Guerre is a fantastic achievement.

I've only heard of one other local to get that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Nornable

Archived