Moderate Muslims Speak Out!

Well the Muslim that I work with was not impressed with that "interview" at all, and wished that Paxman could take both to task rather than just sit back and listen to a slanging match.

Besides, she doesn't think either of them speak for her and that Maajid Nawaz now actually has some sort of vendetta against Islam.

She has a point. One spent his youth enjoying the various "vices" that our secular society can provide and then turns to extremism ... whilst the another spends his youth as an extremist and then starts enjoying those "vices" promoting liberal secularism. :roll:

It seems that "moderate" Muslim as far as the BBC are concerned are simply "politically and religiously engaged" Muslims - the sort of Muslims, in short, of interest to the government.

My collegue despairs everytime she hears the MCB (now out of favour) or QF (the new kids on the block) claim that they speak on her behalf.

I still think that the proper response to idiots like Choudary - certainly, the proper British response - is to laugh.

i didnt see it ,wish i had,any trouble causer such as choudrey or griffin need to be publicly knocked down in a good debate ,no lawyers there to tell them what to say or do ,just one on one and no punches pulled or quarter given

If you can get the BBC iPlayer through your internet connection, it's as simple as clicking on a button, Depoix.

Boyfriday gave a linky at the top of the page, the Choudry bit is from about 18 mins to about 27 or 28 mins, and then the Gitmo article is the last piece before the close of the show.

Well the Muslim that I work with was not impressed with that "interview" at all, and wished that Paxman could take both to task rather than just sit back and listen to a slanging match.

Besides, she doesn't think either of them speak for her and that Maajid Nawaz now actually has some sort of vendetta against Islam.

She has a point. One spent his youth enjoying the various "vices" that our secular society can provide and then turns to extremism ... whilst the another spends his youth as an extremist and then starts enjoying those "vices" promoting liberal secularism. :roll:

It seems that "moderate" Muslim as far as the BBC are concerned are simply "politically and religiously engaged" Muslims - the sort of Muslims, in short, of interest to the government.

My collegue despairs everytime she hears the MCB (now out of favour) or QF (the new kids on the block) claim that they speak on her behalf.

I still think that the proper response to idiots like Choudary - certainly, the proper British response - is to laugh.

I've some sympathy with your colleague's view, quisquose, it must be very frustrating for her that to the wider world her views are represented by any organisation and that society seems to demand it.

Although Nawaz has an 'interesting' past and was himself previously jailed for extremism, there's something quite compelling about people who 'have the t-shirt' as it were and subsequently seen the error of their ways.

Although Paxman didnt control the interview well, I think Choudary was exposed, whilst Nawaz was firm but disciplined in his approach. His organisation offers a rallying point for Muslims to stand behind and organise themselves against the extremists, it's just a pity that it's necessary in the first place.

Whether we like it or not the BNP are a democratically appointed party and thus have a right to air their views, why is Choudary being given air time to preach his nonsense.

Presumably because Newsnight is a program about the news... and Choudary had been in the news.

Just a thought ............. What is a Moderate muslim ?

Does he not bend over as far during prayer ? or only pray 2.5 times a day ?

Perhaps sneak the odd rasher when ordering an EST from the sarni shop ?

I think for the purpose of this debate they're Muslims who reject the extreme excesses of people like Anjem Choudary.

Whether we like it or not the BNP are a democratically appointed party and thus have a right to air their views, why is Choudary being given air time to preach his nonsense.

I dont think being 'democratically elected' gives someone an exclusive on the right of freedom of expression, we all should enjoy that, it just gives them the right to participate in parliamentary business and debates.

Archived