Moderate Muslims Speak Out!

No we don't, he kept saying he knew the answer but refused to be drawn into admitting it as other Muslims would not be so quick to side with him as who knows who would be safe. A lot of Muslims here are not fanatical Muslims and if this Choudry bloke had his way a lot of them would be cast down and condemed for not been the type of Muslim he envisige them to be.

While we are over in afganistan fighting the Taliban and freeing the people from their extreme Idiology, this bloke is here trying to start up a simular idiology in this country.

It mental.

of course we have to draw our own conclusions the bloke refused to answer the question. like many people on here who dont answer questions the rest of the forummers reach their own conclusions same thing :huh:

They didn't look like mates last night Bazooka!

Whether we trust Nawaz or not, he and the Quilliam Foundation are completing a vacuum that had previously been filled by the likes of Choudary who the British media were happy to court to sensationalise anti Muslim feeling.

Last night's performance by Nawaz gave us something else to chew on and an opportunity to see Choudary being asked (and not answering) searching questions by another Muslim.

Paxman as good as he is may have simply been written off by Choudary and other Muslims as someone with an anti Islamic agenda, as far as I know Nawaz is still a practising Muslim.

They were allies at one stage, in a former life- clearly not now. I also don't have any time for QF- Majid Nawaz and Ed Hussain have received a considerable amount of money from the government- and seem to attack other Islamic organisations for no real reason (other than what they have been paid to do).

They regularly attack other Muslim organisations and events in the media, doing much harm.

For example, Ed attacked the organisers of the Islam Expo event which took place a couple of years ago in the London Evening Standard. As a result, some high profile guests did not attend. We should be promoting events such as Islam Expo, which showcase Islam in a very attractive way, not attacking the hard working organisers.

Well the Muslim that I work with was not impressed with that "interview" at all, and wished that Paxman could take both to task rather than just sit back and listen to a slanging match.

Besides, she doesn't think either of them speak for her and that Maajid Nawaz now actually has some sort of vendetta against Islam.

She has a point. One spent his youth enjoying the various "vices" that our secular society can provide and then turns to extremism ... whilst the another spends his youth as an extremist and then starts enjoying those "vices" promoting liberal secularism. :roll:

It seems that "moderate" Muslim as far as the BBC are concerned are simply "politically and religiously engaged" Muslims - the sort of Muslims, in short, of interest to the government.

My collegue despairs everytime she hears the MCB (now out of favour) or QF (the new kids on the block) claim that they speak on her behalf.

I still think that the proper response to idiots like Choudary - certainly, the proper British response - is to laugh.

I agree, but once someone like Choudary and his motor mouth get going, it's hard to moderate - he just has to keep talking to avoid giving answers that would sink him. Probably best that Paxman let him foam at the mouth cos he just looked plain stupid.

So far 42 posts discussing the rights and wrongs of the views of 2 people belonging to a faith not indigenous to the country.

Although this may be offensive to the christian faith i think we can rest safely in the knowledge that no lives will be threatened because the Christians ceased that approach (killing in the name of religion) in the middle ages.

No fatwah,s Less fatwahs pollyunsaturated fatwahs so send em all back to Muslimabad till they get around four hundred years of development and drop the murderous ideology.

Hadn't you heard of Northern Ireland then?

Good to see Choudary put in his place by Maajid Nawaz, but can i just throw this into the mix:

Isn't it interesting/sad that when describing the type of Muslim/Islam, Maajid Nawaz is/follows, it has to be qualified with the word "moderate"?

Could this be because, if one steps back and takes a WORLD view of Islam, arn't the "moderates", unfortunately, the minority. Are "moderate" Muslims, mostly - western Muslims?

Is it the west that "moderates" Islam?

They were allies at one stage, in a former life- clearly not now. I also don't have any time for QF- Majid Nawaz and Ed Hussain have received a considerable amount of money from the government- and seem to attack other Islamic organisations for no real reason (other than what they have been paid to do).

They regularly attack other Muslim organisations and events in the media, doing much harm.

For example, Ed attacked the organisers of the Islam Expo event which took place a couple of years ago in the London Evening Standard. As a result, some high profile guests did not attend. We should be promoting events such as Islam Expo, which showcase Islam in a very attractive way, not attacking the hard working organisers.

Well Im left holding a limp stick Bazooka, obviously you're far better informed than I am on this issue, my knowledge of Nawaz and QF has been accumulated in the last 8 hours!

I like the cut of Nawaz's jib and how he presents himself, I was also suprised by his history which in my opinion adds credibility to his argument when challenging extremism.

So who is else is denouncing extremists on a public platform who is trustworthy? Progressive Islam perhaps? Help, impartial enlightenment and a TV studio required!

Good to see Choudary put in his place by Maajid Nawaz, but can i just throw this into the mix:

Isn't it interesting/sad that when describing the type of Muslim/Islam, Maajid Nawaz is/follows, it has to be qualified with the word "moderate"?

Could this be because, if one steps back and takes a WORLD view of Islam, arn't the "moderates", unfortunately, the minority. Are "moderate" Muslims, mostly - western Muslims?

Is it the west that "moderates" Islam?

Very good point Projekt, I think logiebaird alluded to one similar. I dont think the need to append 'moderate' to 'Muslim', suggests they are in the minority religiously, only that they're in the minority in terms of Muslims that receive media airtime.

No. The vast vast vast vast majority of muslims are not extremists. What you have hit on is a clever way for newspapers to hang a slight stigma round the necks of all muslims, resulting in posts like the one you just made, where you believe that because certain westerners feel the need to put moderate in front of it, most muslims are not moderate. remember, it is not them that use that tag, it is the western media.

Im not saying that most Muslims around the world are potential terrorists, but dont most muslims around the world follow an ultra orthodox form of Islam, that they just wouldnt get away with here?

Im not saying that most Muslims around the world are potential terrorists, but dont most muslims around the world follow an ultra orthodox form of Islam, that they just wouldnt get away with here?

No, they don't. Orthodox Islam doesn't conflict with the British way of life anyway; it's only the extremist nutcases that do so, and they are few and far between.

Archived