Is it me or is the word 'HERO' a bit over used these days ?

Why is it becoming common practice to refer to anyone who joins our Armed Forces as a 'Hero' ? If a lad wants to join up for £16k per year an free dental treatment an go thousands of miles way to assist a super power in the rape of a poverty stricken third world country then that his affair. I certainly fail to see how he automaticaly becomes a 'Hero' Very soon we shall have 'Heroes' on every street corner !

It is not every soldier who is referred to as an hero.

The term is usually used to refer to those on active service.

Why not join up yourself and see what it is like?

Is a train driver who dies in the course of his duty a hero? A roofer perhaps? Oil rig workers?

A few years ago you could have added miners and industrial workers in large numbers to the list.

One thing that strikes me with the way our forces' tasks, achievements and sacrifices are discussed today, is that many seem to think that it's appropriate to view them as we did in World War 2.

The salient points this misses are that

a) today's army aren't conscripts. They join of their own free will and

b) the danger to this country and consequent justification of our action, while a matter for debate perhaps, can't seriously be compared to that of WW2.

It is not every soldier who is referred to as an hero.

The term is usually used to refer to those on active service.

Why not join up yourself and see what it is like?

I thought heroes did selfless acts at risk to themselves like running into a burning building to rescue someone or diving into a river to prevent someone drowning.

Why does putting on a uniform and being paid to go to war make someone a hero?

Are opposing troops also "heroes" or is it just our side?

I thought heroes did selfless acts at risk to themselves like running into a burning building to rescue someone or diving into a river to prevent someone drowning.

Why does putting on a uniform and being paid to go to war make someone a hero?

Are opposing troops also "heroes" or is it just our side?

It is not the putting on of a uniform that makes a person an hero it is the duties they carry out and the situations they are in.

If you read the citations for medal winners you may have a better understanding of what they and their colleagues actually do.

Please do not criticise until you have been there and experienced what they have.

Yes there are heros on all sides.

It is not the putting on of a uniform that makes a person an hero it is the duties they carry out and the situations they are in.

If you read the citations for medal winners you may have a better understanding of what they and their colleagues actually do.

Please do not criticise until you have been there and experienced what they have.

Yes there are heros on all sides.

Surely that poster's definition of a hero could apply to a war situation? They were just stressing that going to war in itself doesn't make someone a hero neccesarily

The salient points this misses are that

a) today's army aren't conscripts. They join of their own free will and

b) the danger to this country and consequent justification of our action, while a matter for debate perhaps, can't seriously be compared to that of WW2.

Neither of which detract from the courage and bravery shown every day by those on the front line.

Archived