Is it me or is the word 'HERO' a bit over used these days ?

Neither of which detract from the courage and bravery shown every day by those on the front line.

I never said it did.

Although the very fact that they've chosen to join up would suggest to me that, with the greatest respect, they've had less fear to overcome than someone who doesn't want to go, but is forced into it.

small point, that isn't my view, but i must point out that if the war is illegal then those soldiers are obeying illegal orders (it being their duty to NOT obey illegal orders), and as such could be considered war criminals.

Just to clarify a point. Has the conflict been officially declared illegal?

I never said it did.

Although the very fact that they've chosen to join up would suggest to me that, with the greatest respect, they've had less fear to overcome than someone who doesn't want to go, but is forced into it.

Yes, know what you're saying. Those poor sods back in the trenches were enlisted and never had a choice, had to march forward often knowing it meant certain death. I take your point :)

Ever heard the saying two wrongs don't make a right?

The war Afghanistan in my view is perfectly justified. The world could not let it lie after the atrocities of 11/09/01, we had to go after the people that did it. Let's not forget that 11/09/01 was the worst terrorist atrocity ever commited against British citizens too.

Justified as we are being there, I think there is no longer any benefit in our forces being there so should come home.

It is not every soldier who is referred to as an hero.

The term is usually used to refer to those on active service.

Why not join up yourself and see what it is like?

Then that is a bad use of semantics. If every solider is a called a hero, it takes the word away from the soldiers who really are heroes.

My problem isn't in calling them heroes, if they have earnt it they are entitled to the word. If they are just normal soldiers i don't take that away from them either, all of them should have access to healthcare and pensions when they have finished serving.

My problem lies with wrapping them all in glory, so we can't criticise them. It's a propaganda tool. I can't say anything about soldiers, they are heroes. Yet they aren't, they are human. Some are brilliant people, some are good, some are average and some are evil. It doesn't benefit anyone to carry on with this glorification.

Surely that poster's definition of a hero could apply to a war situation? They were just stressing that going to war in itself doesn't make someone a hero neccesarily

Unfortunately most people who have not been on active service do not appreciate what a soldiers life is like and what is expected of him or her.

An example is an ATO who as his routine duties has to disarm explosives on a daily basis perhaps several times a day, or a cook whose base comes under mortar fire.

Archived