Is it me or is the word 'HERO' a bit over used these days ?

Go and give a Nazi salute in Germany to see how your freedoms of expressions are upheld.

Modern Germany still has nazis, just like we have nazis. If you want to understand how important the European Convention on Human Rights is then go to China and use their internet. You'll understand how much freedom we do have.

Secondly, and i don't disagree with you, one could get punched in a pub. I'm not disputing that. I don't think that is really the best measurement we can make of our society though is it?

My problem lies with wrapping them all in glory, so we can't criticise them. It's a propaganda tool. I can't say anything about soldiers, they are heroes.

This is a valid point and been made previously on this forum. 'Hero' is easy and emotive language, created by a media and government who want to keep service personnel in their place.

The soldiers I know are all decent people, doing a difficult job undoubtedly, but they feel hamstrung in requesting basic needs, by their perception of the public's esteem for them.

In other words having been almost deified, they then dont complain about poor pay, poor domestic living conditions and inadequate equipment.

A similar trick was used on nurses who were once referred to almost universally as 'angels'.

Let's keep it real-we'd be doing them a bigger favour.

If readers of this thread saw Look North this evening they will have seen the 18 year old soldier who has lost both legs and an hand in an explosion. His comrades who witnessed him being blown up will have had to go on patrol again aware that people were trying to kill and injure them also.They know the fate of their colleague could be theirs also. This is why they are refered to as heroes for overcoming their fear and risking their lives regularly. Yes it is part of the job and all servicemen accept this.

If readers of this thread saw Look North this evening they will have seen the 18 year old soldier who has lost both legs and an hand in an explosion. His comrades who witnessed him being blown up will have had to go on patrol again aware that people were trying to kill and injure them also.They know the fate of their colleague could be theirs also. This is why they are refered to as heroes for overcoming their fear and risking their lives regularly. Yes it is part of the job and all servicemen accept this.

I dont think anybody on this thread is deriding what they do or isn't toally sympathetic to those who lose their lives and their families.

I dont think anybody on this thread is deriding what they do or isn't toally sympathetic to those who lose their lives and their families.

nobody apart from the...

Why is it becoming common practice to refer to anyone who joins our Armed Forces as a 'Hero' ? If a lad wants to join up for £16k per year an free dental treatment an go thousands of miles way to assist a super power in the rape of a poverty stricken third world country then that his affair. I certainly fail to see how he automaticaly becomes a 'Hero' Very soon we shall have 'Heroes' on every street corner !

nobody apart from the...

Well that's one poster amongst 4 pages worth Tony.

It should be possible to engage in a grown up debate about this without it being polarised by contributors making sensational statements one way or another.

Archived