Can anyone help me locate PAGE HALL ORPHANAGE on the 1911 Census?

BILL ELLIS

In the 19th. century there was a large house called Bolsover Hill on the corner of Bolsover road and Barnsley road (which was then known as Dickson lane).

Coming down Bolsover road from Barnsley road, where it turns sharp right is where the main entrance to Page Hall began. The drive went up the hill a little bit and then turned rright along the line of Cammell road.

Section of 1893 map here explains it better ;)

Dickson lane was of course much narrower than Bolsover road is now.

That's great, cheers! :D

I was fascinated by Page Hall as a little 'un. I lived at 125 Firth Park Road and our back garden went straight onto the grounds so we used to explore a lot. Even though at that time the hall was boarded up, the grounds were still kept, even down to a croquet lawn with all the implements for playing. I remember running from an old man in the grounds, I guess he was responsible for keeping the place in shape. I can barely remember the other buildings on Bolsover Road sadly, but I recall some derelict stables full of rubbish.

It was a great place to live as a child, so much to explore. :)

There are a couple of good photos of Page Hall on Picture Sheffield.com http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s05777.jpg ....
It's interesting to compare these with a modern view from the air (use the '+' button at the right or turn the mouse wheel to zoom in).

My wife used to work at the care home Abbey Grange Nursing Home, and used to tell me many stories of how some of the residents have heard young children, and how many staff wouldn't used the staircase because they felt spooked by it. The building is a lovely building but was extended on the left for the care home.

Segasonic, what year did you live at 125, i lived at 127 up to 1980. I remember it just as you say, i can also remember the servants house and the stables which were on bolsover road with a path up to the main house.There was also an entrance from cammell road, and i think i remember seeing on an old map an entrance from the corner of bolsover and firth park road.

Segasonic, what year did you live at 125, i lived at 127 up to 1980. I remember it just as you say, i can also remember the servants house and the stables which were on bolsover road with a path up to the main house.There was also an entrance from cammell road, and i think i remember seeing on an old map an entrance from the corner of bolsover and firth park road.

I can't remember exactly, will have to ask the parents when I see em. I'd guess we moved there around '82 and left around '85. Small world. :) My Grandparents and Uncle lived on Cammell Road since probably the 70s and for a few years after we moved.

Archived