Pregnant women evacuated from Sheffield in 1940s

Does anyone know where pregnant women were evacuated to during world war II.

My grandma was born in a large house near Retford in 1943. She thinks the house was owned by a family called Kaiser Ellison.

My Grandma would love to know exactly where the house was as her birth certificate only says Retford.

Thanks for any help, she'll be really pleased.

I was born at Lodge Moor Hospital in 1941. I believe women about to give birth were moved there to be away from the potential danger from bombing raids. We lived much closer to any of the usual central hospitals, especially Jessops.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by james_drew

Does anyone know where pregnant women were evacuated to during world war II.

My grandma was born in a large house near Retford in 1943. She thinks the house was owned by a family called Kaiser Ellison.

My Grandma would love to know exactly where the house was as her birth certificate only says Retford.

Thanks for any help, she'll be really pleased.

my mother was born in 1941 and her mother was evacuated when pregnant to retford. The name of the place where she was born is Eaton emergency maternity Hall, Eaton, Retford. Hope this may be of use to you.

Originally posted by shazmyster

my mother was born in 1941 and her mother was evacuated when pregnant to retford. The name of the place where she was born is Eaton emergency maternity Hall, Eaton, Retford. Hope this may be of use to you. [/quote

Yep thats where I was born 1941 September.Dad must have managed a couple of days leave around christmas.

• 1 month later...

Yes, a lot of pregnant women were sent out into the countryside away from the bombs. I think the place you might be thinking of is called Eaton Hall. Later it was a teachers' training college, then an 'international school' and is now a school for muslim children.

You can find pictures of it in historic books about Retford which might jog memories... For example see p22 of Retford in Times Past by EL Ableson (ISBN: 0950193712) which you will have to look for in a library as I'm not sure it is still in print. This shows a view of Eaton Hall before it was turned into a teachers' training college. It is a Georgian and Regency building that was bought from the Kayser family of Sheffield by the county council. In this book it states that it was used as a maternity home during the Second World War.

The old hall is still there, but the place is not in a very good state of repair these days.

Look for Eaton on multimap and it is located on the corner as you turn into the village from the main road out of Retford.

Hope that helps.

• 3 years later...

Found this site via google whilst looking for any references to Eaton Hall

where I was born in Sept. 1941.

My mother passed away in 1993 and amongst the possessions I found a post card photo of Eaton Hall (with X marks the spot) showing the window of the

room in which I was presumably delivered.

my mother was born in 1941 and her mother was evacuated when pregnant to retford. The name of the place where she was born is Eaton emergency maternity Hall, Eaton, Retford. Hope this may be of use to you.
My Brother was born there in 1942, although the threat seems to have diminished by 1943 when I was born at the 'City (Northern) General'.

my dad was sheffields first war baby :)

"Terry Smith was born at the exact moment Neville Chamberlain revealed that Britain was going to war with Hitler's Germany.

As the then Prime Minister called for "calmness and courage" in one of the country's most defining moments, little Terry brought some much needed joy to his mum just after 11am on september 3, 1939."