Spice Market Cafe

krisrgs24

We went there, the concept is a bit baffling and the food underwhelming. The food lacked spice and flavour, but most of all the whole place lacked emotion and any sign of a love for food.

Thyme cafe at least has a tiny morsel of soul, but only just. Eating at Spice Market Cafe feels like eating in a chain.

Nothing on the menu was appetising or appealing, the food was flavourless and over-cooked in places and the bill was even more stomach churning.

Having said that, I bet it makes a packet; as another poster mentioned, Richard Smith seems to live a charmed life.

This is typical of Sheffield restaurants, eating out in Sheffield is enough to make me want to cry.

Haven't been nor will I it looks an awful, souless place to me. Ashuka for me everytime.

I went a few weeks ago at a lunchtime. I thought the food was excellent quality but the choice a bit uninspiring.

Service was ok but they tried to overcharge us. Probably won't go back, I'd much prefer an authentic Asian restaurant.

I went a few weeks ago at a lunchtime. I thought the food was excellent quality but the choice a bit uninspiring.

Service was ok but they tried to overcharge us. Probably won't go back, I'd much prefer an authentic Asian restaurant.

Is that not the USP is though - the fact it's asian with a british slant to it?

I walk past it all the time but the decor doesn't appeal to me - it's just not cozy enough for a romantic meal and it's too expensive to go with a group of friends for a drink and a laugh.

Is that not the USP is though - the fact it's asian with a british slant to it?

Sure, I understand that. But given the choice between real Thai food or Thai food with a British slant I'd rather have the real Thai, it's just a personal preference. Although having said that it's likely most foreign restaurants have already had their dishes adapted to suit local tastes to some extent.

funny how that all the previous threads about richard smith restaurants the same theme of overcharging and things added to the bill keep reappearing

• 1 month later...
Is it just me or is this Richard Smith guy just plain lucky. I have eaten at both Thyme Cafe and Canteen and had very average meals there and I've no desires to go back to either. Why couldn't we have had Anthony Flinn (Leeds) instead of Richard Smith?!?!

I love Anthony's in Leeds. It should definitely have a Michelin star, should have got it years ago, but I suppose while it doesn't, I can go there and pay less.

RE: Spice Market, the formula isn't right for me and it's not the menu.

I went with 3 other people a couple of months ago. The starters (2 x platters to share) weren't horrid but weren't great either and were expensive for what they were. Mains wise we all had mains costing more than £12, some like the duck pushing quite a bit above that.

For a restaurant with these kind of prices I don't expect our bottle of wine and some glasses to be just dumped on our the edge of the table (Maybe I should be grateful he bothered to remove the cork).

The ethos of service seems to be as informal and lacklustre as they can get away with. The staff were polite but I've had more service in a sandwich shop. For the prices this is just all wrong. The mains weren't bad some were actually nice but I left feeling I had pay way too much for the whole experience and won't return or recommend.

I am also sick of the Richard Smith restaurants not having a website with basic information such as opening times, phone number and most importantly a menu, sample or current.

I've been invited to Canteen and will have to stop by when I am passing to see if I can bring myself to pay £8 for fish and chips or however it works at canteen.

On a positive note, ate at Bar 23 a few weekends back and was impressed with the standard of food.

I am also sick of the Richard Smith restaurants not having a website with basic information such as opening times, phone number and most importantly a menu, sample or current.

Ah - he does have a site - you just have to be a mind reader to know how to find it!!

http://www.relaxeatanddrink.com/

I agree that keeping Anthony's out of the Michelin Guide is a bit of a bonus as it does mean I can afford to eat there! I have only had the pleasure once, but I certainly aim on returning. As for Richard Smith and his attempts, I just don't bother any more.

woooops - quoting went a bit wrong there!!

you look to be missing a / in the closing [ QUOTE] box so without the spaces it should look like

[ /QUOTE ]

Thanks for the url, I gave up after trying

Canteen Sheffield

Canteen Crosspool

Spicemarket Sheffield

Aritsan Sheffield

Aritsan Crosspool

etc

etc

I looked at the results that did come up too and it would seem that the non affiliated websites that did list the restaurants also have no idea of the website address either.

I'm not sure what the term is for of the opposite of Search Engine Optimisation but I think they must have it down to a t to somehow not get it listed.

As I expected, the sample Canteen menu doesn't excite me at all. I used to like the food at Catch a lot too which makes me all the more bitter.

The food in Anthony's is certainly worth a star, but the times I've been I've not been impressed with the service. It's all there, but the waiting staff seem to be a little aloof. I find the room quite cold too.

Some of the food is to die for though.

(Edit: The whole Michelin system is becoming ridiculous now anyway. Did anyone see the program on the Michelin guide? In fact there's been some great foodie shows on BBC4 recently. The French pastry chefs? Mad, all of em).

Archived