Riverside Herb Centre (Bamford) deli and cafe under threat

Garlic

Just been to out for lunch there today, one of my favourite Peak Dist cafes, and found out that they've had to submit a planning application even though its been open ages and there was a similar place there before. If they don't get planning permission, and apparently that's a possibility, they'll have to close down!

If you haven't been, I really recommend a visit if you're out in that direction. The food is lovely, homemade and delicious and the deli is great, though difficult to walk through without spending more than I should! Also they sell herbs plants in the front.

I can't understand why the planning authorities would dream of shutting it down as it's set back off the road so is unobtrusive, and must add to the economics of the Peak dist from tourism and employment.

Perhaps the planning permission application will all go through smoothly , but I took one of their leaflets asking for support for their application: by email to planning.service@peakdistrict.gov.uk quoting reference number NP/DDD/1209/1091 , if anyone else who knows the place wants to send in their views.

it's a great spot, I'm hoping it stays open. Sadly though he's fighting the most corrupt planning organisation in Britain, and I fear that the developers of the new Marquis hotel will have been behind all his problems. Remove the competition for their new cafe as it were.

The Peak Planning department have a screw loose. They hate change, anything new and enjoy making peoples lives difficult. I know the owners and they have turned a grotty building into something special that attracts tourists to the area. What can possibly be wrong with that??

My husband and I own Elliotts cafebistro in Hathersage and we are right behind Chop't. Peak Planning are very difficult to deal with (and we have a badge to prove it!) and seem to want to preserve the area not conserve it. The more successful businesses in the Peak District the better as they will bring in tourists, provide services and products for locals and give everyone more choice. That can only be good for the area surely. Plus we all employ local people and use local products. As in our case if enough people write in, the Planning Authority will have to make their decision with the whole planning board which also gives Chop't a chance to speak at the meeting and put their case forward. I wish them the best of luck and will keep my fingers crossed.

I also sent an Email to Peak Park Planning and received a reply. I cannot believe that the new hotel could possibly regard 'Chop'T' a threat.

I have often been at a loss to understand the workings of the PPP.

They ruled Bakewell with a rod of iron until about 20 years ago and then let everything go. Bakewell is now, generally, a hotchpotch of down market shops and rubbish cafes. The number of quality shops can be counted on your fingers.

Bakewell could so easily have been up there with the likes of Holt in Norfolk.

Archived