Looking for any living relatives from broad oak green farm .ecclesall

• 3 years later...

Hello, new member, I am researching the Hancock family of Broad Oak Farm Bents Green, same place surely? Have found a reference in the book about history of Whirlow, saying the farm was rebuilt by Christopher Hancock and there was a plaque on the building, unfortunately the farm was demolished and I wondered if anyone knew of a photo of it? My ancestor Christopher Hancock stone mason of Whiteley Wood was born 1807 and I think his father was George Hancock of Broad Oak who left the farm to his son Daniel. Any info would be great.

Hi Crisfish. This is strange as I am a Hancock born and bred in Ecclesall where most of my extended family have lived for generations but more significantly I had an uncle Wilf (wife- Evelyn, son-Donald) who lived in Bents Green. I also seem to recall being told of one of my forbears owning a quarry on Sheephill Road but the odd thing is that this is the first time I have heard of another Hancock from Bents Green.

Yes the Hancocks did have Sheephill quarry or Brown Edge quarry and there were several generations of stone masons. Henry Hancock sometimes known as Peggyleg because of his wooden leg also was landlord of the Norfolk Arms at one time. His father was Christopher H. stonemason of Whitely Wood. It is his grandfather George I think who lived at Broad Oak Farm at Broad Oak Green. There are lots of Hancocks in Ecclesall Church registers with addresses at Broad Oak and at Bents Green, in the 1800's. Will look in my family trees and see if I can find your Uncle Wilf. Henry Hancock had 50 grandchildren, one was my Grandma.

Good username you have, Pigiron. George Hancock was apprenticed cutler but seems to have reverted to being a stonemason when he got older.

Yes the Hancocks did have Sheephill quarry or Brown Edge quarry and there were several generations of stone masons. Henry Hancock sometimes known as Peggyleg because of his wooden leg also was landlord of the Norfolk Arms at one time. His father was Christopher H. stonemason of Whitely Wood. It is his grandfather George I think who lived at Broad Oak Farm at Broad Oak Green. There are lots of Hancocks in Ecclesall Church registers with addresses at Broad Oak and at Bents Green, in the 1800's. Will look in my family trees and see if I can find your Uncle Wilf. Henry Hancock had 50 grandchildren, one was my Grandma.

Good username you have, Pigiron. George Hancock was apprenticed cutler but seems to have reverted to being a stonemason when he got older.

Another coincidence Crisfish. My late father was named Henry Leslie (Harry) and there was a third brother James (Jim) as well as Wilf.

Interesting, I've not been on the forum for ages but something told me to have a quick look today.

pigiron, I'm surprised you've not heard of other Hancocks at Bents Green. My dad's mum was a Hancock and her family lived all over that area. Her father owned the garage on Ringinglow Rd, which was later run by my Great aunt and her husband ( surname Medley). There were also cousins on Trap Lane and other places nearby ( can't remember off the top of my head but will look at my notes)

As far as I've been able to research, I've never found a connection between these Hancocks and the Sheephills Hancocks, even though they lived so close.

I do however have connections to that Hancock family through my dad's father's family.

I have a lot of information on the Bents Green Hancocks so can see if I can find anything that may help, although if you have been told about the quarry, CrisFish is probably more likely to be able to help.

CrisFish, it has just dawned on me as I type that I know who you are!

---------- Post added 17-06-2013 at 10:38 ----------

A very quick look around seems to suggest that Harry Leslie, Wilfred and James were the sons of Alfred Hancock and Annie Eliza ( neé Shelley)

Alfred's parents were possibly Thomas E ( Edward?) Hancock and Ellen neé Davidson?

Thomas was a Saw Manufacturer.

All of this would take further research to prove, of course, but may be a useful starting point.

• 2 months later...

Hi again I just returned here after a few months - never got a notification anything else had appeared....I am sure all these Hancocks are connected up. According to an old letter I had the Mrs Hancock at Broad Oak Farm kept a **** fighting pit - wonder if anyone has more info on that. George Hancock (mason of Broad Oak but formerly cutler)had many children including two daughters who married Bagshaws both from Hathersage and went to live there, and two boys who died as teenagers aged 14 and 16. The oldest boy was Christopher and he named two of his sons with the same names, Henry and Benjamin. They all produced large families. I am told a Hancock built the Ecclesall Church Tower and his gravestone is up near the Church at the top of the path going up the hill. So if anyone is over that way perhaps they could have a look and see - apparently it says on the gravestone that he built the tower.

Hi again I just returned here after a few months - never got a notification anything else had appeared....I am sure all these Hancocks are connected up. According to an old letter I had the Mrs Hancock at Broad Oak Farm kept a **** fighting pit - wonder if anyone has more info on that. George Hancock (mason of Broad Oak but formerly cutler)had many children including two daughters who married Bagshaws both from Hathersage and went to live there, and two boys who died as teenagers aged 14 and 16. The oldest boy was Christopher and he named two of his sons with the same names, Henry and Benjamin. They all produced large families. I am told a Hancock built the Ecclesall Church Tower and his gravestone is up near the Church at the top of the path going up the hill. So if anyone is over that way perhaps they could have a look and see - apparently it says on the gravestone that he built the tower.

I live close to Ecclesall Church so I'll look for the grave next time I'm down there, any idea of the grave plot number?

Good morning Duffems, that would be great as I am 182 miles away. Can't find the letter now, which is annoying but have a plan of Ecclesall churchyard. The letter said you go up the path from the gate opposite where Roses Pastry Cooks used to be (?) on Ecclesall Road which leads up to the church. Facing up the path towards the church,on the right of the path is area III in the churchyard plan and on the left is area IV where they have cleared the gravestones mostly. The letter said this grave was at the top of the path on the right, near the church so that would be area III. So any Hancocks around there would be interesting. Good luck!

I think the Hancock's stone yard used to be where the shops are.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 19:27 ----------

Hello again, I have found the letter, it is as I described except the writer refers to Handcock however I am pretty sure it is the same family. Also a Mrs Hancock used to keep a cockfighting yard right at the corner of Broad Oak Road now Broad Elms, at Bents Green. I don't know when that was and wondered if anyone else did as it must have been when the farm was still there (now demolished).

Archived