Walnut Club Reopened

bungleboy69

Went on Saturday night after a refurb and new opening.

Would have to say that things aren't much better than before. The venue was busy and the live band was great but the food.... We are both vegetarians and went for the mushroom ravioli. The food took a while (and were told by the staff the kitchen was busy) and when it came it was completely uncooked, hard pasta and cold centre!!!! We complained and we were given a complimentary glass of champagne.

When the recooked meal came it was quite nice but this sort of experience is not something you expect after a relaunch. I would this place to succeed as there isn't anything else like this on Eccy Road but it needs to up its game a bit. The live band was a good idea but i feel this hasn't been marketed well enough as everyone i talked to about it hadn't heard about the relaunch.

Dissapointing to hear following the reopening it hasn;t improved. My wife and I took some friends before Xmas and really sang it's praises from a previous visit which was excellent. I have to say it was a total let down. the ambiance was good, very retro, contemporary and lively. the bar staff were good and attentive, but the food! oh dear!

e and my mate a big foodies so relish any good tucker and he was excited to read comments about 'Michelin rated' on the menu. As it was for his b'day, he went for the top notch ribeye steak. I thik it was £24.99 so not cheap but you kinda thought if it tasted good then it was worth it. When it arived we all looked quite shocked as it was simply a dry piece of steak, a few chips and a small bunch of rocket salad on the plate. Visually, it didn;t blow you away. Unfortunatly, the the taste was a let down too. He asked for it rare, but it came done (not even slightly pink!). No steak knife either which he had to ask for and you could tell it was certainly neded as it looked tough. Whn the waitress was called over and told about it, she quickly took it back to kitchen to the chef. 5 mins later, she came back and apologised and asked if they could give us a free dessert!! i couldn;t believe it! My frend had not even had a proper main course!!! When the manager came (which i later found out was the assistant manager as the manager was on holiday), he apologised for the behavour of his staff, but then only offered to take off the charge of the meal from the bill. when I asked for anything else off the menu, he just said well ok, but it will be chargable!!! We all couldn;t believe it and by this time just wanted to leave. After we chased several times for the bill, we gladly left.

I agree this resturant needs to really sort out it's food and chef and maybe focus less on the bar Surely any decent chef would have insited my friend went home satisfied. I wonl;t be going back to eat for some time yet until i hear of a vast improvement.

Very disappointed to read this.We had an excellent evening at the Walnut Club in Hathersage. The food,service,entertainment and the ambiance were all very good.We were going to try this one on Ecclesall Rd. but you have made us think again.It was also disturbing to read the views of `Bungleboy69,`as at least one of our group would require vegetarian food.Looks like we will be going to Hathersage again.Will have to look out for future news to see if things have improved

the place has fail all over it! wrong location (upstairs), entrance looks like a soho revue bar , appalling food reviews since the opening on here and others! Sheffield is not London, no atmosphere and almost empty when we went.

Went on Saturday night after a refurb and new opening.

Would have to say that things aren't much better than before. The venue was busy and the live band was great but the food.... We are both vegetarians and went for the mushroom ravioli. The food took a while (and were told by the staff the kitchen was busy) and when it came it was completely uncooked, hard pasta and cold centre!!!! We complained and we were given a complimentary glass of champagne.

When the recooked meal came it was quite nice but this sort of experience is not something you expect after a relaunch. I would this place to succeed as there isn't anything else like this on Eccy Road but it needs to up its game a bit. The live band was a good idea but i feel this hasn't been marketed well enough as everyone i talked to about it hadn't heard about the relaunch.

HI! if you are vegetarians then may be can cater for you some time? we are cafe by day and a a small restaurant by night. we are also a b.y.o:)

http://www.thebohemiancafe.co.uk

Dissapointing to hear following the reopening it hasn;t improved. My wife and I took some friends before Xmas and really sang it's praises from a previous visit which was excellent. I have to say it was a total let down. the ambiance was good, very retro, contemporary and lively. the bar staff were good and attentive, but the food! oh dear!

e and my mate a big foodies so relish any good tucker and he was excited to read comments about 'Michelin rated' on the menu. As it was for his b'day, he went for the top notch ribeye steak. I thik it was £24.99 so not cheap but you kinda thought if it tasted good then it was worth it. When it arived we all looked quite shocked as it was simply a dry piece of steak, a few chips and a small bunch of rocket salad on the plate. Visually, it didn;t blow you away. Unfortunatly, the the taste was a let down too. He asked for it rare, but it came done (not even slightly pink!). No steak knife either which he had to ask for and you could tell it was certainly neded as it looked tough. Whn the waitress was called over and told about it, she quickly took it back to kitchen to the chef. 5 mins later, she came back and apologised and asked if they could give us a free dessert!! i couldn;t believe it! My frend had not even had a proper main course!!! When the manager came (which i later found out was the assistant manager as the manager was on holiday), he apologised for the behavour of his staff, but then only offered to take off the charge of the meal from the bill. when I asked for anything else off the menu, he just said well ok, but it will be chargable!!! We all couldn;t believe it and by this time just wanted to leave. After we chased several times for the bill, we gladly left.

I agree this resturant needs to really sort out it's food and chef and maybe focus less on the bar Surely any decent chef would have insited my friend went home satisfied. I wonl;t be going back to eat for some time yet until i hear of a vast improvement.

It's absolutely SHAMEFUL that any restaurant can charge £25 for a steak & then have incompetent kitchen staff* serve it well done when you asked for rare... cooking a steak correctly is a basic requirement of a being a chef & at that kind of money, getting it wrong is disgusting...

* I call them kitchen staff.. no decent chef would ***** a £25 steak up!

Archived