Cuba - Anyone been?

Thanks for the info foxy lady. That sounds my kind of place, to be honest. As much as I love fancy hotels, utter **** holes in places with a bit of culture take some beating too. More after going for the music, food and booze (so that'll be the culture then?!) than to be pampered. That said, after some of the holes I stayed in in Sri Lanka, sheets on a bed will be a luxury!

Went last March and had a brilliant time. The weather the 2nd week wasn't as good as we hoped but we enjoyed it nevertheless. Went to havana and stayed overnight and wouldn't have missed it. Also did the sugar and steam trip and sunset cruise on a Catamaran.

Re booking a hotel - stretch yourself to the most you can afford. Their 3 star is more like our 2. We were lucky enough to be able to stay at Paradisus Princessa at Varadero and it was fantastic.

Ignore the remarks about it being like Spain. Its nothing like it. To be honest there's not a lot to do at Varadero but that's part of the experience of going to Cuba. I found Cuba beautiful and fascinating but also sad that people have to life in such difficult circumstances.

I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

I found Cuba beautiful and fascinating but also sad that people have to life in such difficult circumstances.

This raises a question about the morality of visiting an oppressive tyranny such as Castro's Cuba. Tourist revenues are making an appreciable contribution to the survival of the regime, by propping up its basket case of an economy. It might also be said that every tourist who visits Castro's Cuba is (wittingly or not) legitimising a vile regime.

Archived