Cuba - Anyone been?

This raises a question about the morality of visiting an oppressive tyranny such as Castro's Cuba. Tourist revenues are making an appreciable contribution to the survival of the regime, by propping up its basket case of an economy. It might also be said that every tourist who visits Castro's Cuba is (wittingly or not) legitimising a vile regime.

you may be right but I also know without tourists the Cuban people would be a lot worse off as the tips they get help them to buy necessities such as shoes, soap, toilet paper. A guide who showed us around Havana went for 3 yrs as a child with no shoes on her feet -would we be able to cope, I doubt it!

I've been twice and would go again in a heartbeat. We went to Guardalavaca and had a trip to Santiago.

The people are fantastic, very friendly. Although their houses aren't up to our standards they have one of the best healthcare systems in the Caribbean and South America. They also get a good education and free university education. Certainly the cubans I talked to were very happy with their lot.

Its a great place to visit.

Its one of the safest caribbean islands you can visit. You can take trips out of the resort to other places and wander down the beach at night with no fears of being robbed, unlike Jamaica!

I loved Cuba and so did my son who was nearly 5 at the time. We visited a few local towns to see the real Cuba and went on a speedboat trip through the mangroves, fishing, scuba diving etc - all good fun. Also the pink flamigo's are stunning. Would go back in a flash, although would avoid Varadero as its very commercial.

Best thing about Cuba - no Americans (ducks head) so if you're going all inclusive there will at least be some food left for you at the 2nd sitting!

Cuba is the most fantastic country. The people are friendly, what they don't have is lots of disposable income, no posh cars, no DS's, computers etc but what they do have is a sense of fun, a place to live crime free, the most doctors per head in the world, free medical and dentist care and everyone has the opportunity to be educated to university level. Havana is fantastic and although looks and is run down you will find a world of music and dance. Plus museums and galleries. Take a tour in an old car or horse drawn carriage. Also did the AI in Varadero, but chose a hotel close to the town and spent many hours with the locals in the market. Take colouring books and crayons for the children of the market traders. Would go back tomo but tour around the towns more. We all loved it. Don't be put off and as for Castro well he has done quite well considering the embargo from the US. I know where I'd rather go for my hols.

• 5 months later...

Went to Varadero in March, stayed in a Sandals hotel, the beach was good, as was the sea, but not the best in the world, as it is advertised. The place is as safe as anywhere you could go. The 'real' Cuba is pretty much run down and dirty from what I saw, Matanzas and Havana. Its best to go all inclusive, as prices for tourists are artificially high. A cheap way of enjoying the Carribean.

been twice going again. Loved It! if you are going to Havana. a day trip is not enough. so much to see. We stayed for three nights. There are the bars and hotels and areas that have been restored, and bits that are falling down. It's all fascinating, and the people are so friendly, will talk to you in the street and ask wher you are from and how you are finding cuba. Ok, its not everyone, but happened several times and people are genuinely interested and wanting to chat. IMO if you want really cheap carribean, you go to Dom Rep....

Archived