Nail Extensions:- Do you prefer Silk or Acryclic?

does anybody do natural nails anymore?

mine grow long and strong naturally, but when I've asked for them to be 'done' I've been met with a blank look

Mine don't. I've had acrylics done but I don't like the way they knacker your nails.

I've been told that there are a kind of extension you can have that leaves your nails okay and growing underneath. I can't remember what that is though, is it silks?

I've never really seen anywhere doing it in town and I would get them done there if I could because I prefer to get it done on the way home from work if I can.

its all about who does them and how they are applied which knackers your nails. So its still personal preference because if they are done with as little filing to your natural nails as possible then it doesn't matter what you have your nails will still grow under them.

But the most important think is not to pick them off because thats when the damage happens, you should have them soaked of if you want your nails to be alright under it.

Basically the product sort of fuses to your nail plate so if you pick them of the top layer of your nail comes of as well and causes them to be a mess where as when the are soaked of the product just disolves away

Hope that helps

its all about who does them and how they are applied which knackers your nails. So its still personal preference because if they are done with as little filing to your natural nails as possible then it doesn't matter what you have your nails will still grow under them.

But the most important think is not to pick them off because thats when the damage happens, you should have them soaked of if you want your nails to be alright under it.

Basically the product sort of fuses to your nail plate so if you pick them of the top layer of your nail comes of as well and causes them to be a mess where as when the are soaked of the product just disolves away

Hope that helps

Are silks or acrylics better for your natural nails though? Are you near the city centre? Can you PM me your details please, I might be interested if you're near town or my house as the last lady I used has closed down.

Laura - my nails are always knackered after I pull mine off, so if I got them soaked off would they be much better or would they be pretty knackered regardless? The person who does my nails uses a little gadgety thing to file them down and my nails are paper thin now :(

Tess - If you soak them of or get them soaked of they will be loads better. I tend to pull mine off because I can never be bothered to wait for them to soak but if I soak them there is no damage. As for the file I think you mean one of those electric nail files, I don't use one of those because I think it is too harsh on your natural nail

I had acrylic nails done last year. I had them done for a practice in June, for my sons wedding in August. They looked lovely, but was fed up of the maintenance and not being able to do things as well. I had them soaked off, before the wedding, and my nails were horrendous underneath, paper thin and all rough and horrible.

Never again!

does anybody do natural nails anymore?

mine grow long and strong naturally, but when I've asked for them to be 'done' I've been met with a blank look

MY nails grow so poorly, strix, they are weak as anything, thin, and brittle. (especially since I've been ill) I was always proud of having nice hands, and so, I go to my Nail Technician, and have my natural nails silk-wrapped.

This strengthens them, (the silk and cyanoacrylate bond to form a protective barrier to my own nails) and keeps them looking good.

The lady who does my nails always makes a brilliant job of them, and I very rarely have any problems.

The only time I've had damage to my own nail (apart from the very basic "etching" of the nail to provide a surface for the product to adhere to) has been when I accidentally got my finger trapped as I was closing my gate. it broke the silk-wrap off, and tore my own nail. that was really wrenched though.

Many, many years ago, back in the 70s, my aunt went to "Super Nu-Nale Studio" on Ecclesall Road, to have some false nails done (I forget whether it was a special occasion or something) and yes, I remember them making an utter mess of her own nails, fungal infections tatty nails, the whole shebang.

Archived