Moshing-A lost art?

In my youth Ron used to mosh quite a bit.

I always enjoyed laughing in the metal room in Corp on fridays at the little lovies kicking and hitting ach other. comic grenius

However, In the main room tonight Rob found himself in the mosh pit (and a very sweaty and fun half hour it was)

unfortunately, there wasn't much moshing going on. After the lads with their tops off and nice tattoes informed me I was in a mosh pit(really? you reckon) I had half an hour of people pushing each other around. All I took was an elbow to the face.

but where was the moshing? pushing is not moshing. the youth of today. not an idea.

Guest NicolaE

Yeah, about 4 years ago I used to be terrified if I got caught in the pit in corp, and watching from the balcony was always fun, but wheres it gone? Have all the moshers grown up and stopped going out, or are the new corp goers just crap? People who used to go to corp were nicer and less up themselves. Where have all the nice people gone????

A bit of history lesson, mosh fans...

Moshing is a much misused phrase - which now pretty much just means shoving people around a bit at the front of a gig/club.

The phrase came from the American hadcore scene of the mid 80s and involved going round & round with loads of others in a circle like a big crowd whirl pool.

Moshing was often accompanied by "slam dancing" which is pretty self explanatory - though the two things got a bit confused when they both came over here during the big thrash boom of the mid 80s... and "moshing" came to be used instead of the more accurate "slamming"

So now you know...

Next week - the History of Stage Diving...

..and of course things were better in the olden days.. nostalgia is never what it used to be..

;)

Originally posted by jake

A bit of history lesson, mosh fans...

Moshing is a much misused phrase - which now pretty much just means shoving people around a bit at the front of a gig/club.

The phrase came from the American hadcore scene of the mid 80s and involved going round & round with loads of others in a circle like a big crowd whirl pool.

But 'Moshing' also pre-dates this 'going round & round' too. It was a label for headbanging in a stationary fashion prior to that (or it was in Sheffield anyway)

*waits for MuddyCoffee or somebody of similar age to correct above statement*

I remember *moshing* as the whirlpool thing heheh !! First time i went to a death metal club, i remember watching a ton of longhaired blokes moshing round and round a pole in the middle of the dancefloor. Highlight of the night was *Hawaii Five O* :o It was a sight to behold, and I kept going back for more hehehehe !!

Originally posted by Pauline BHG

I remember *moshing* as the whirlpool thing heheh !! First time i went to a death metal club, i remember watching a ton of longhaired blokes moshing round and round a pole in the middle of the dancefloor. Highlight of the night was *Hawaii Five O* :o It was a sight to behold, and I kept going back for more hehehehe !!

Aka the 'fight circle'?

There was moshing at the Green Day concert I went to in June at Milton Keynes. As it was my first gig I was scared!! We moved away from it all- but as I was watching the moshers, it looked quite fun hahaha

Archived