Grounds for Divorce - what difference does it make?

On 22/01/2010 at 17:24, CottonTop said:

In the States, it is different. If, for example, I had committed adultery, I could have been made to pay my ex-husband alimony for a period not to exceed the number of years we had been married (12 years) and vice versa. A lot of what is deemed the reason for the demise of the marriage can have a financial impact of the divorce settlement as well as child custody/visitation.

Absolutely right. First comment that gave a clear explanation.

On 22/01/2010 at 10:13, auto98uk said:

Hmm did that change in the last...15 years or so

I'm sure i remember my dad begging my mum to not put that it was his adultery, cos it would increase the amount he would have to pay.

Or i guess he could have believed that even if it weren't true.

If there are no children involved, the division of assets is pretty much a cut down the middle to provide balanced amount for each side, irrelevant of who put the most into the marriage, or even if one party contributed nothing. 

The court does not consider any element of 'fault' or grounds of the divorce - the more expensive the lawyer, the bigger their bill for saying 'you have to give her half'.   There are few exceptions of what assets are included in the total sum - one being portions of a pension fund that may have been accumulated pre-relationship.

Of course if there are kids, they will be provided for to the significant benefit of the partner who has custody.

When asked if he intended to marry again, I believe Stan Laurel once answered "No, I think I'll just find a random woman I don't like in the street and buy her a nice house".

Divorce really brings out the worst in some people. I ask my ex for a divorce but she said No, let's try again. 

OK I said. It's worth another go. 

3 weeks later she left, threw every accusation under the sun at me then had me served papers. 

I couldn't understand why she'd say the stuff she was saying then she told my mum, it was for a free divorce 🙄

Anyhoo, it was a nasty few months, lots of upset, lots of accusations but in the end it was all done and dusted. 

As for her accusations, they held about as much water as a sieve, the kids stayed with me and she was free to carry on her life as she saw fit. 

Good luck to her I say.