Can anyone explain why people push in queues?

It's very hard to tell who's next in a busy crowd waiting at a bar but a good barperson should be able to tell. There used to be a barmaid in the Leadmill who simply would not serve drinks to any other women, so when she was on you had to go to the other end of the bar; one night she went to serve the guy next to me who indicated that I was 'next' and she just huffed and walked off to serve a bloke a few people down.

There's only one example of when it's OK to push in and that's when people don't queue properly at bus stops. I mean the people who need at least 3 feet between them and the next person in a bus shelter, the ones who don't 'move up' when a bus has picked some of the people waiting up, so anyone else has to stand outside in the rain. In these circumstances there's no sensible option but to stand in the gap they're leaving.

I hate going in Waitrose now due to the snotty attitude of one of the staff on the ciggie counter. There was nobody waiting so I stood there while she finished whatever she was doing, then walked up. "No!" she says, "I'm not serving you! You walked from the wrong direction! You'll have to go back and approach from the correct direction again!" I pointed out that there was nobody else waiting, nor were there any other customers in sight. She said "Well that's the way it is in here. Get used to it." I did I was ordered and bought my cigs and then gave her a Hitler salute.

Originally posted by Mathom

I hate going in Waitrose now due to the snotty attitude of one of the staff on the ciggie counter. There was nobody waiting so I stood there while she finished whatever she was doing, then walked up. "No!" she says, "I'm not serving you! You walked from the wrong direction! You'll have to go back and approach from the correct direction again!" I pointed out that there was nobody else waiting, nor were there any other customers in sight. She said "Well that's the way it is in here. Get used to it." I did I was ordered and bought my cigs and then gave her a Hitler salute.

How true is that? :suspect: (before I e-mail them a hyperlink :mad: )

I agree with what some people have posted, unless there are only a few of you at the bar then it is a free for all. I aren't going to memorise the order 30+ people arrived at the bar and try and work out if the rest are waiting to be served or just hovering. If there were only a few people then I would always point out if someone was before me.

I remember being in a club once in York, as it was very early in the evening it was VERY quiet. I went to the bar, the barman was already serving someone so I waited (there were no other customers waiting, we made eye contact, and he had to stand right in front of me to pull a pint). He finished serving but didn't come to serve me straight away - he just faffed about with something behind the bar (for a good few minutes). Then he looked up to serve me, someone else approached the bar at just that second and he served them instead. When I said I'd been waiting to be served for the best part of 5 minutes, the new customer just shrugged and the barman gave me an earful about how I should be patient and wait my turn. When I dared to point out that I had been the only person waiting for the past few minutes he threatened to have me thrown out of the club!

I think women have it much worse in bars when getting served. You often find barmaids who will always prefer to serve men and only turn to female customers when they have to. Another barman also made an interesting remark to me once as well - I was in town on a Saturday night (usual overcrowded pub) and was leaning against the bar quite bored as I waited an eternity to be served, when a barman I hadn't even looked at leaned over to me and said "don't think flashing those (looking at my chest) at me will get you served quicker"!!

As for what I do personally - if someone has obviously been waiting longer than me then I pretty much always tell the barperson to serve them first. Unless of course on my last trip to the bar someone had failed to do this for me, then I'm always tempted to jump in ;)

I haven't the foggiest, as I never push in line. I've been pushed, though. Usually, turning around and giving the person the hairy eyeball stops the shoving.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hairy+eyeball

The absolute worst case of "queue-barging" (thanks, StarSparkle, I just love all the new words I learn here on SF!) were some German tourists who literally pushed and shoved their way ahead of us in line at a restaurant.

We actually had the misfortune to have seen these people earlier in the day, when they ran past/through our group on their way to one of the ferry tours. The way they were elbowing others out of the way to be first in the line resembled the scene in "Titanic", when the ship is sinking, and they're down to the last lifeboat.

There's also a special place in hell reserved for those who "pretend" not to notice where the line ends, and oh so casually step ahead of you. And if you do notice, and say something to them it's an "Oops, sorry about that". "Gee, you're crabby." I've actually only had men do this. They usually give you the, "it must be that time of the month, huh?" look as well.

:) Sierra

Originally posted by Mathom

She said "Well that's the way it is in here. Get used to it." I did I was ordered and bought my cigs and then gave her a Hitler salute.

Love your retaliation! I usually walk out without purchasing anything.

Originally posted by banesmabes

I remember being in a club once in York, as it was very early in the evening it was VERY quiet. I went to the bar, the barman was already serving someone so I waited (there were no other customers waiting, we made eye contact, and he had to stand right in front of me to pull a pint). He finished serving but didn't come to serve me straight away - he just faffed about with something behind the bar (for a good few minutes). Then he looked up to serve me, someone else approached the bar at just that second and he served them instead. When I said I'd been waiting to be served for the best part of 5 minutes, the new customer just shrugged and the barman gave me an earful about how I should be patient and wait my turn. When I dared to point out that I had been the only person waiting for the past few minutes he threatened to have me thrown out of the club!

I think women have it much worse in bars when getting served. You often find barmaids who will always prefer to serve men and only turn to female customers when they have to. Another barman also made an interesting remark to me once as well - I was in town on a Saturday night (usual overcrowded pub) and was leaning against the bar quite bored as I waited an eternity to be served, when a barman I hadn't even looked at leaned over to me and said "don't think flashing those (looking at my chest) at me will get you served quicker"!!

As for what I do personally - if someone has obviously been waiting longer than me then I pretty much always tell the barperson to serve them first. Unless of course on my last trip to the bar someone had failed to do this for me, then I'm always tempted to jump in ;)

not enougn smilies. Women get served faster by male bar staff so often it's not even funny.

Someone tried to push infront at a sainsburys queue today. Despite protestations of only one pack of bread buns the till guy was having none of it and sent him packing (well done that guy in Manchester)... we got served next, we'd been queing as was right.

a) At the moment, yes, most deffinately! :o Why? Because there is no such thing as queueing in Asia! If you don't push your way to the front, you don't get a train ticket/bus ticket/Visa/whatever... :D

b) No. You just get laughed at if you complain, or grumble, although a rare few people do feel sorry for the poor westerner and give you a helping hand by pushing you a bit further forward, or offering an extra elbow to push others out of the way!

To be honest, it's kind of fun. There's no malice involved, it's just the way it works - it's almost like a game, and generally done in good spirits. I much prefer it to standing in a queue for half and hour, bored and frustrated. :)

Archived