Madeleine Blaess

critter

Bit of a long shot this but I am looking for information related to Madeleine Blaess late of Fulwood who died in 2003. A very interesting character, she left some of her papers for research purposes - she was a French academic - but there may well have been more which found their way into the house clearance system in Sheffield. These may well be in landfill now but if anyone recalls seeing anything of significence related to Madeleine, or indeed, any further information about her, I would be delighted if they could let me know either by PM or at: w.michallat@sheffield.ac.uk

Very many thanks

Hello critter--it might be useful to know for what purpose you require this information. The information in the University of Sheffield's entry on her in Special Collections gives a brief biography--have you consulted the papers she left?

I remember her quite well, although I was never particularly close to her to get to know her better. She was a charming, modest lady of great learning in medieval French, though she could be quite trenchant in criticism of bad scholarship and of matters she disapproved of. I was saddened to hear of her death at the time.

Bit of a long shot this but I am looking for information related to Madeleine Blaess late of Fulwood who died in 2003. A very interesting character, she left some of her papers for research purposes - she was a French academic - but there may well have been more which found their way into the house clearance system in Sheffield. These may well be in landfill now but if anyone recalls seeing anything of significence related to Madeleine, or indeed, any further information about her, I would be delighted if they could let me know either by PM or at: w.michallat@sheffield.ac.uk

Very many thanks

Its a dodgy scam:hihi:

No, nothing that mysterious Jibbs. I work at the university and I'm working on Madeleine's papers! And thank you very much Waltheof for your kind reply. I didn't ever have the pleasure of meeting Madeleine but my colleagues remember her with some affection. She was a fascinating woman.

Whilst I cannot help with your search I would like to add my own tribute to Madeleine Blaess. Forty years or so ago she thought me medieval French. It was a subject she was extremely passionate about. She lived with her widowed mother and most lectures were interspersed with anecdotes about her mother. Of the French lecturers of that era she always struck me as the most modest and down-to earth. A lovely lady.

She would be amused to know that there was a thread about her.

her death record is on Ancestry as follows

Madeleine Marie F Blaess

Birth: 19 Aug 1918

Death: Jun 2003 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Her listing in sheffield telephone directory is also on there at 50 Brooklands Avenue as far back as 1954.

Archived